It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Peterson Challenges Everyone to Read THIS book!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:17 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:
I've taken to chalk painting furniture.

Won't people who sit on the furniture have chalk marks when they stand back up?

No. Chalk paint contains plaster of paris which gives it it's chalky texture and appearance. You can actually mix up your own using latex paint as the base. It's either waxed or top coated with poly. I'd poly top coat a chair, but poly tends to pull tannins from the wood and you can end up with a yellow or pink cast if the paint is light color. The piece I referred to was a dresser, with a waxed finish. Hopefully no one will sit on it!

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:35 am 
God

Kishkumen wrote:

Quote:
DCP is a truly baffling person. Can such a person actually exist? Is he not trolling everyone? Is he the Andy Kaufmann of the Mormon world? This is amazing performance.

Excellent point. Has DCP been pulling an “Andy Kaufman” on the entire Mormon world this whole time?

If this is true then he has certainly earned my deepest respect and admiration.

I would like to hear Dr. Scratch’s thoughts on this remote possibility DCP has been playing an “Andy Kaufman” role his entire career.

"I'm on sabbatical in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books." Daniel C. Peterson in 2012

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:08 am 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
I would like to hear Dr. Scratch’s thoughts on this remote possibility DCP has been playing an “Andy Kaufman” role his entire career.

He might suggest you forward that question several decades and ask if he has been emulating Sacha Baron Cohen.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I'd poly top coat a chair, but poly tends to pull tannins from the wood and you can end up with a yellow or pink cast if the paint is light color.

Ah, then a polyurethane coating might be useful in detoxifying a Mormon who has accidentally ingested tea. Any increase in pinkness would serve to signify their extra valor in the preexistence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 am 
Holy Ghost

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Excellent point. Has DCP been pulling an “Andy Kaufman” on the entire Mormon world this whole time?

If this is true then he has certainly earned my deepest respect and admiration.

The simplest explanation is that he is surviving as best as he knows how, whatever that means given his personal situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 am 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Dr. Peterson has censored and banned Prop 8 for daring to poke fun at him:

DCP wrote:
To put it mildly, I wasn't positively impressed with "Prop 8's" stunt below. And then, when, after three days of discreet silence, he reappeared with an utterly disingenuous "mea culpa" that was actually designed to stick a finger in my eye, I decided that I'd finally had enough.

I don't like to ban people, but I've banned Prop 8 and I've deleted his snide pseudo-apology. There is another place online where his spiritual kin will be delighted to celebrate his achievements here, as well as his sheer phoniness. I wish him joy of it.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 am 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:

DCP wrote:
To put it mildly, I wasn't positively impressed with "Prop 8's" stunt below. And then, when, after three days of discreet silence, he reappeared with an utterly disingenuous "mea culpa" that was actually designed to stick a finger in my eye, I decided that I'd finally had enough.

I don't like to ban people, but I've banned Prop 8 and I've deleted his snide pseudo-apology. There is another place online where his spiritual kin will be delighted to celebrate his achievements here, as well as his sheer phoniness. I wish him joy of it.

That's funny. It won't be long before DCP starts banning Gemli, Bravo Sierra and anyone else who dares to question anything he posts. DCP's banning seems to run in cycles.

DCP will not tolerate well-reasoned dissent. He only tolerates an echo chamber.

I have a feeling Prop 8 will be back posting on Sic et Non. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion he/she is already back posting under one of his/her many different avatars.

"I'm on sabbatical in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books." Daniel C. Peterson in 2012

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 am 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:

DCP wrote:
...[prop 8]reappeared with an utterly disingenuous "mea culpa" that was actually designed to stick a finger in my eye, I decided that I'd finally had enough.

I don't like to ban people, but I've banned Prop 8 and I've deleted his snide pseudo-apology.

Did anyone see Prop 8's apology? I wonder why DCP would conclude that a "disingenuous mea culpa" posing as a "pseudo-apology" for plagiarism was mocking him?

ETA...nevermind. just went back to p 2. Thanks, Everybody Wang Chung, that was hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:02 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Did anyone see Prop 8's apology? I wonder why DCP would conclude that a "disingenuous mea culpa" posing as a "pseudo-apology" for plagiarism was mocking him?

Lemmie,

Prop 8's hilarious mea culpa was eeriliy similar to one of DCP's prior mea culpa's for plagarizing

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... today.html

I'm guessing Prop 8 did this as a subtle jab at DCP's hypocrisy, DCP's habit of plagarizing and not citing sources?

Prop8 wrote:
I want to acknowledge a problem in a short review of mine that was published recently in Sic et Non:

http://www.patheos.com/blog...

When I went looking for statistics on homologies I was thinking about Puck Mendelssohn's review I found on online:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/c...

I copied some notes from it that were relevant to my point, stuck them among some other thoughts that I had jotted down for the piece. When I came back, I checked the reference and proceeded.

So I want to expressly and gratefully acknowledge my debt to Puck Mendelssohn's article for material (particularly the numerical data on homology) in the second and third paragraphs.

The possibility of this kind of thing has always concerned me. When one writes a lot, drawing on a multitude of sources, there is always the possibility for such a slip-up. And, plainly, I slipped up.

The data that I cited are widely available, and not unique or proprietary to Puck Mendelssohn's article, which was simply a convenient source that came up first in a Google search. Nor is his particular language especially ususual. I could easily have rephrased my presentation of the data, and, honestly, I thought I had. But, as it turns out, I hadn’t. Not enough, anyway.

At this point, I think the most efficient and practical thing to do is probably to acknowledge my use of Puck Mendelssohn's article. I’ll see if it’s possible and practicable to rephrase paragraphs two and three somewhat, but, to be honest, that seems to me a rather artificial exercise once the connection between what I wrote and what he wrote has been granted. It’s not as if I’m trying to cover that connection up, or as if I could do so.

It turns out that I can make stupid mistakes. Who knew?

Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:03 am 
God

Lemmie wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung posted it further up thread. It was basically a parody of DCP's previous apology on charges of plagiarism. I'll say if the whole copying of the Amazon review was just the setup to the apology that was a pretty well executed troll.

Edit: too slow again...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 am 
Dragon

Quote:
It looks to be a fraudulent work of pseudo-scholarship detectable by anyone who exercises a modicum of caution and common sense.

Kish,

All these apologists clutch at pseudo-science and ludicrous ideas to defend the Book of Mormon and the Church in general - and so we just can't expect them to have a modicum of caution and common sense...

I was watching Dan Vogel's recent addition to his Abraham series, and the arguments by Gee and others were just the opposite of having any common sense at all. And instead of letting bad ideas die, they dust them off and repurpose them! (He used the term ludicrous in relation to their apologetic mumbo jumbo a few times as I recall).

When deception and obfuscation is the name of the game, caution and common sense are the last things on their collective minds.

Trying to understand this world;
But I cast at swine all my pearls,
I cast at swine all my pearls.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 am 
God

Xenophon wrote:
Lemmie wrote:
Everybody Wang Chung posted it further up thread. It was basically a parody of DCP's previous apology on charges of plagiarism. I'll say if the whole copying of the Amazon review was just the setup to the apology that was a pretty well executed troll.

Edit: too slow again...

Thanks, Everybody Wang Chung and Xenophon! I would have to agree with you, Xen, it does seem as if the review was a set up from the beginning. There must have been a few tense moments waiting to see if someone would dare mention plagiarism in light of DCP's history.

Last edited by Lemmie on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:15 am 
Dragon

I'm in the middle of a manuscript for my "Spiritual Wives" book, and I amusingly thought I could bang it out in a few months. I was wrong. Why? Because one simply must exercise a large modicum of caution and common sense in dealing with historical matters. You go over and over it, and turn it upside down and shake it out to see where all the weaknesses are. You jettison things that don't work or are too speculative. You research everything, every angle and hope to god you are thorough enough. After all, we are putting our good names on the things we publish. I don't know how, in many cases they can be satisfied with some of the utterly ridiculous things they publish. No institution is worth sacrificing your personal integrity over. At least, I would hope so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 am 
Dragon

I think it rather amazing Kish, that you touched on (in relation to Peterson), all the things that I have been struggling with in my quest to finish my book. I assumed it was the same for everyone, but obviously I was wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:25 am 
Dragon

And one other thing I would add. These kinds of forums can be an absolute blessing to a budding writer or researcher. There are some sharp minds here. I enjoy reading Scratch, Kish, Analytics, Mikwut, too many to mention, and what they have to offer, especially critical feedback that is essential to those of us that want to contribute to Mormon History. I really think it has only helped me to sharpen my skills and to understand how to approach history, and the things that work and do not work. I'll always be grateful for this place, this "dark corner" of Mormondom that explores every aspect of that intricate and fascinating world.

Shades = :cool:

Peterson has so many opportunities to hone his skills as a writer, but seems to be throwing it all away in favor of quickly produced fluff pieces to satisfy his target audience. It's a sad waste of some of the real talent I see in him. That he would denigrate this bastion of free thinking and expression speaks volumes about what his real agenda is, to defend the institution at all costs, and by any means necessary. Taking shortcuts that only hurt his credibility.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:03 am 
Seedy Academician

We are fortunate to have many sharp minds in our midst. We are very lucky to have you here, grindael!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:05 am 
Seedy Academician

Doctor Scratch wrote:

DCP wrote:

Well, DCP was certainly right about us finding this amusing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am 
Anti-Mormon

DCP wrote:
I don't like to ban people

I beg to differ:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 pm 
Seedy Academician

Oh, you may force him to do it, but he was deeply pained to have to pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:59 pm 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:
Some book or other from some sorta journalist or other that says Darwin was been refuted, and has outlived its usefulness. Dr. Peterson says he wants serious discussion from only those who HAVE read the book, and is WILLING to engage IT, not using some review or other imagining ourselves as quaint experts and dismissing this review of Darwin on religious grounds. Gee, would that he would do that with Ritner on the Book of Abraham eh? :rolleyes:

Sooooo, have any of you read this particular book Peterson mentions? I haven't, but I might. Right now I am swamped with learning how to watercolor paint and am thoroughly and hedonistically enjoying my life, and getting on with an item on my bucket list. And I am told I am gettin decent, and I have only painted 4 paintings thus far! Come check me out on Instagram...

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... cards.html

I'm actually quite surprised that Peterson would be willing to further undermine what little reputation he has remaining by hitching it to this wagon. Does he really think that by linking his name to a book that purports to demolish Darwin's theory of Evolution he is somehow improving his public image? Message to Dr. Peterson....Evolution is a fact...doubt it? Go talk to your colleague's over in the BYU biology department, I'm sure that they would be more than happy to enlighten you.

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:13 pm 
Founder & Visionary

grindael wrote:
There are some sharp minds here. I enjoy reading Scratch, Kish, Analytics, Mikwut, too many to mention, and what they have to offer, . . .

I agree 100%. Probably the most rewarding effect of this whole "MormonDiscussions.com" experiment has been how many incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable people have seen fit to congregate here. I don't know what I did to deserve it, but I continue to be very pleasantly surprised day in and day out!

--Runtu, 06-29-2018

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next