Nibley the Censor

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Re: Nibley the Censor

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Years ago I sent some letters that Wesley Walters sent to Klaus Baer about Nibley's work on the Book of Abraham. Baer was not impressed. Baer was invited to speak at BYU on the Book of Abraham and Nibley said in a letter to me that they had Baer on the ropes but because he was a guest were more polite. However in a letter i received from Michael Marquardt he gave a different account of the meeting. Nibley also said there were currently several LDS students studying Egyptology. It seem most seem to be end up teaching in the Religion Department of BYU. Possibly joined by Smoot? So Nibley did not give a real picture of the conference.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

aussieguy55 wrote:Years ago I sent some letters that Wesley Walters sent to Klaus Baer about Nibley's work on the Book of Abraham. Baer was not impressed. Baer was invited to speak at BYU on the Book of Abraham and Nibley said in a letter to me that they had Baer on the ropes but because he was a guest were more polite. However in a letter i received from Michael Marquardt he gave a different account of the meeting. Nibley also said there were currently several LDS students studying Egyptology. It seem most seem to be end up teaching in the Religion Department of BYU. Possibly joined by Smoot? So Nibley did not give a real picture of the conference.

Fascinating! Baer on the ropes?! Guffaws! Matt Roper years ago photocopied dozens and dozens of letters back and forth between the antis, the Egyptologists and Nibley on the Book of Abraham and gave me the whole package. I have had to, for legal reasons, I suppose, just sit on them, but they are jewels! I thought I could use them for apologetic purposes at first, but the slower and more carefully I read, the worse it got. Ritner is Baer's successor, and he has KO'ed every single apologetic argument on the Book of Abraham and the facsimiles that the apologists have ever made. PERIOD. And, if Gee is talking about the literalness of the Book of Abraham, there, in a nutshell is the entire problem of it all. The only literal to it is that it is not what apologists wish it was, a genuine ancient account of a genuine historical person.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Another high quality contribution by Professor Symmachus. It does make me a little sad to see yet another of Nibley’s stumbles. But we must look at these issues with clear eyes!
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist