In His own image

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mentalgymnast
_Emeritus

Re: In His own image

Post by _mentalgymnast »

I have a question wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Yes, but a photograph of me has my appearance, but doesn’t eat. A statue of me would have my appearance, but not eat. I would say that my form follows function because I believe my form was the result of evolution. An LDS person would say that I have the form that I do because that’s how God chose to make me. I have his likeness, but not his function.

But our likeness is a direct result of function.

We have hands to grasp things. Therefore God has hands to grasp things. Why would God need to grasp things?

If you start asking why God has to have hands, you're going to pretty much end up asking why God would be in the form of a man. Oh yeah, that is what you're asking.

The fact is, we know precious little about how/where God lives and what His existence 'looks like'.

I guess I'm one of those folks who believes in a creator/God and I take the reverse engineering approach. If we are are pinnacle of His creations and He is our Father, then common sense says that we are patterned after His form and likeness.

I've always wondered whether God periodically visits the barber shop. Does He need to? :wink:

Regards,
MG
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:In my LDS days, I would have said “no.” As Jersey Girl points out, the Old Testament uses both image and likeness. So, I understood it to refer to appearance rather than exact functional model. Something like that.

I understand it as a functional model.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have a question wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Yes, but a photograph of me has my appearance, but doesn’t eat. A statue of me would have my appearance, but not eat. I would say that my form follows function because I believe my form was the result of evolution. An LDS person would say that I have the form that I do because that’s how God chose to make me. I have his likeness, but not his function.

We have hands to grasp things. Therefore God has hands to grasp things. Why would God need to grasp things?

Because God in the flesh needed to grasp things.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:More random musings...

If we are made in God’s image, does that mean God eats food? And if he does, would He die if He didn’t?

You would imagine some ambrosia would be involved, or at least nuclear fuel rods. The last hypothesis could be checked by looking for nuclear pellets or waste tailings.

The problem with assigning a physical body to a deity is coming up with reasons why the deity would be excluded from normal physiological processes.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I have a question wrote:

Jersey Girl wrote:Because God in the flesh needed to grasp things.

He did? Why?
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Given God’s supposed capabilities, why does we need to have a form that matches His likeness?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')