It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: In His own image
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am 
God

More random musings...

If we are made in God’s image, does that mean God eats food? And if he does, would He die if He didn’t?

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

Post subject: Re: In His own image
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:17 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
More random musings...

If we are made in God’s image, does that mean God eats food?

No, I don't think it means that.

Quote:
And if he does, would He die if He didn’t?

No, I don't think an immortal would die.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:18 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:
More random musings...

If we are made in God’s image, does that mean God eats food?

No, I don't think it means that.

What do you think it means?

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:34 am 
God

I have a question wrote:

I can't say for sure. I think something like mind, body, spirit? >>Trinity stuff.

I dunno. What you said more closely resembles the LDS take on it, does it not?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:35 am 
God

Aren't you going to ask me who God was talking to in Genesis when he said "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:

I can't say for sure. I think something like mind, body, spirit? >>Trinity stuff.

Well, seeing as how it is a Mormon discussion board, and I was brought up a Mormon...

If it means “body” then that suggests He would eat food, does it not?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
Aren't you going to ask me who God was talking to in Genesis when he said "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness"?

Wasn’t planning on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
Well, seeing as how it is a Mormon discussion board, and I was brought up a Mormon...

You'd have to AskAMormon about that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:

You'd have to AskAMormon about that.

I am asking a lot of Mormons about that.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 am 
God

In my LDS days, I would have said “no.” As Jersey Girl points out, the OT uses both image and likeness. So, I understood it to refer to appearance rather than exact functional model. Something like that.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:59 am 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
In my LDS days, I would have said “no.” As Jersey Girl points out, the OT uses both image and likeness. So, I understood it to refer to appearance rather than exact functional model. Something like that.

Isn’t our appearance also a result of function? We have legs because we walk, hands because we need to grasp and hold things and mouth so we can consume and communicate etc. Our appearance is such because it functions in certain ways, including eating.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:06 am 
Prophet

I have a question wrote:
More random musings...

If we are made in God’s image, does that mean God eats food? And if he does, would He die if He didn’t?

I think that with "flesh and bone," God does indeed have a body, but does not need food, but can eat it if he wants.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:24 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Isn’t our appearance also a result of function? We have legs because we walk, hands because we need to grasp and hold things and mouth so we can consume and communicate etc. Our appearance is such because it functions in certain ways, including eating.

Yes, but a photograph of me has my appearance, but doesn’t eat. A statue of me would have my appearance, but not eat. I would say that my form follows function because I believe my form was the result of evolution. An LDS person would say that I have the form that I do because that’s how God chose to make me. I have his likeness, but not his function.

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:

Well. If this reality is just a simulation then there's no reason to believe the AI creator is a single singularity. If it speaks it could be an innumerable manifestation of consciousnesses conferring with themselves.

So. That's my best guess.

- Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:03 am 
God

What did the original writers intend? Not helpful for us to project our 21st century views onto it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:55 am 
God

Maksutov wrote:
What did the original writers intend? Not helpful for us to project our 21st century views onto it.

I can see what you mean if we are making a history of religious thought. Otherwise I cannot help but think I have every reason to believe we know more here in the 21 century than authors circa 6th century bc knew. I am certainly going to base my belief on what we know now.

(I guess that means I do not hold a view of scripture as inerrant )

/////
Not to mention it is not possible to know exactly what the original author, authors, meant in the Genesis passage. It is a phrase inviting multiple understandings and that interpretation is inextricably part of the faith tradition.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:59 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I have a question wrote:

several passages that teach a man is body, soul and spirit

https://i.imgur.com/OuNNVSN.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 pm 
God

I don't think god eats from a Mormon perspective. Eating something means having to kill it first and god is supposedly surrounded by celestialized, eternal animals and plants. So, what would he eat? Maybe he created a restaurant planet where food can be prepared and shipped to him?

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:14 pm 
Sunbeam

Exiled wrote:
I don't think god eats from a Mormon perspective. Eating something means having to kill it first and god is supposedly surrounded by celestialized, eternal animals and plants. So, what would he eat? Maybe he created a restaurant planet where food can be prepared and shipped to him?

Well God would have created everything that could be eaten. Say God wants a pizza, could he just create pepperoni, or would he have to create a pig, and some salt mines, pepper plants, and make pepperoni from scratch?

Perhaps Willy Wonka’s Everlasting Gobstopper could satisfy eternal hunger.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 am 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Yes, but a photograph of me has my appearance, but doesn’t eat. A statue of me would have my appearance, but not eat. I would say that my form follows function because I believe my form was the result of evolution. An LDS person would say that I have the form that I do because that’s how God chose to make me. I have his likeness, but not his function.

But our likeness is a direct result of function.

We have hands to grasp things. Therefore God has hands to grasp things. Why would God need to grasp things?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:57 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

But our likeness is a direct result of function.

We have hands to grasp things. Therefore God has hands to grasp things. Why would God need to grasp things?

If you start asking why God has to have hands, you're going to pretty much end up asking why God would be in the form of a man. Oh yeah, that is what you're asking.

The fact is, we know precious little about how/where God lives and what His existence 'looks like'.

I guess I'm one of those folks who believes in a creator/God and I take the reverse engineering approach. If we are are pinnacle of His creations and He is our Father, then common sense says that we are patterned after His form and likeness.

I've always wondered whether God periodically visits the barber shop. Does He need to? :wink:

Regards,
MG