It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dan McCllelan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:34 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
How is someone that truly believes in what Mormonism claims, actually fit for public office?

Would you vote for some one that believed in VooDoo? Or Scientology? If not, why not?

Imagine a Mormon politician talking about improving the health service...
“So tell me Dan, you believe the sick can be cured by consecrated oil and the Priesthood, will you be rolling that out instead of Medicare? If not, why not?”

I tend to distinguish between the person and the system, and while the system has inherent tendencies, each individual adapts to the system in some way. I can see a Mormon committed themselves to upholding the Constitution and entrusting the rule of law in the public sphere. There are some who adapt more than others in favor of those principles. And whatever the personal belief of a given politician, I would look at their specific commitment to those principles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:37 am 
God

Meadowchik wrote:
I have a question wrote:
How is someone that truly believes in what Mormonism claims, actually fit for public office?

Would you vote for some one that believed in VooDoo? Or Scientology? If not, why not?

“So tell me Dan, you believe the sick can be cured by consecrated oil and the Priesthood, will you be rolling that out instead of Medicare? If not, why not?”

I tend to distinguish between the person and the system, and while the system has inherent tendencies, each individual adapts to the system in some way. I can see a Mormon committed themselves to upholding the Constitution and entrusting the rule of law in the public sphere. There are some who adapt more than others in favor of those principles. And whatever the personal belief of a given politician, I would look at their specific commitment to those principles.

How do you know and what happens if you get a Gordon Smith type politician that says behind closed doors that he uses his politics to advance the position of the church?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:40 am 
God

Sanctorian wrote:
How do you know and what happens if you get a Gordon Smith type politician that says behind closed doors that he uses his politics to advance the position of the church?

Same way you know if anyone else is beholden to dogma/ideologies behind closed doors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:32 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:

I think the answer can be found in the old saying, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition". Pragmatism wins out. For some Mormons it can be the greedy pragmatism of Ayn Rand, for others, it can be handing out sandwiches and soft drinks in lieu of replicating loaves of bread and baskets of fish. Dan sounds more like a sandwich and soft drink guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:29 pm 
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Huh! Quite interesting! I wish him luck. I admit that I didn’t always understand his perspective:

maklelan wrote:
You of all people should be a little quicker than this to spit Scratch's dick out of your mouth.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... 85#p816285

Even so, I suspect that he’s likely the better candidate.

"[I]f, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:39 pm 
God

Hello Scratch! :smile:

maklelan wrote:
You of all people should be a little quicker than this to spit Scratch's dick out of your mouth.

Ha!

Looks like Mak will do just fine in politics!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:54 pm 
God

Ceeboo wrote:
Hello Scratch! :smile:

maklelan wrote:

Ha!

Looks like Mak will do just fine in politics!

With comments like that I just hope he doesn't become the next Anthony Weiner.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2012