Mormons and poison

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Mormons and poison

Post by _Maksutov »

Emma was accused of trying to poison Joseph. The Danites talked about poisoning Gentiles. Joseph's brother Samuel may have been poisoned. Brigham Young may have been poisoned.

I'm trying to come up with an example of another Christian church with such a history of poisoning. Outside the Borgias. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: Mormons and poison

Post by _Fence Sitter »

There was the People's Temple of the Disciples of Christ led by a guy by the name of Jim Jones.

The was a bit of poisoning there.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

Fence Sitter wrote:There was the People's Temple of the Disciples of Christ led by a guy by the name of Jim Jones.

The was a bit of poisoning there.

Ha, no doubt. Though I’m not sure it qualifies quite the same way when people willingly took it.

As I recall, there was some poisoning involved in the Aum-Shin-Rikyo cult.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

There was a lot of suspicion of poisoning in early Mormonism. I would include the death of Alvin and that of Brigham Young among the possible poisonings, or at least those that prompt suspicion. It’s quite a sordid history in some ways. My money is on Brigham Young being a kind of serial murderer in his quest to obtain and hold onto power.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

The Rajneeshees also tried to poison their political opponents. Hmm.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov