RS Pres. Child abuse is a priority.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

RS Pres. Child abuse is a priority.

Post by _I have a question »

Sister Jean B. Bingham is the Relief Society General President, the church’s organization for adult women. She said addressing child abuse is a top priority for her and that female leaders are uniquely equipped to discuss abuse.

“We’ve all had that experience as a woman, having to be careful about where we are and who we are with," Bingham said.

Earlier this year, the LDS Church updated its abuse guidelines in response to a number of accounts of local Mormon leaders failing to protect victims of abuse.

Bingham said that because many female leaders are also mothers, like herself, they can be uniquely attuned to what abused children may be going through.

"We may have a little bit better feeling of what a child needs for protection," Bingham said.

While Bingham emphasized the importance of female input, Mormons typically report abuse to their male leader, their bishop. Bishops are instructed to then seek guidance from church headquarters.

The LDS Church also made a $25,000 donation to A Breeze of Hope Foundation in Bolivia, a nonprofit organization that also serves child abuse victims.

http://kuer.org/post/top-female-mormon- ... y#stream/0

One assumes Sister Bingham is actively seeking an end to male Bishops interviewing minors in a one-on-one situation, and is prepared to resign her calling if changes aren’t made. If she isn’t then her comment is dishonest.

In fact, I’d like Sister Bingham to clarify her comment. She stops short of explaining what she is actually doing about it. So come on Sister Bingham, explain what action you are taking on your top priority.....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')