It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Mopologists Don't "Get" Mr. Rogers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:02 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
Temple Recommend Questions

1 Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual who supports the Mr. Rogers show?

2 Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been such as watching an entire episode of Mr. Rogers?

3 Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances and covenant to refrain from all things Mr. Rogers?

I just had a visual of a counterfeit endowment: "Brethren and sisters, put on your sneakers."

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:51 pm 
God

Doctor Scratch wrote:
To the Mopologists, though, Rogers is no doubt both a reminder of all their failures and an exemplar of behavior that is so foreign to them that it is only natural that they would despise both him and his show. Quite revealing, in any case.

I honestly don't spend much time looking at the old school mopologists stuff any more. So I suppose my world doesn't really interact much with what these guys do or don't say, etc.

But I do have to say, "Mr. Rogers Rocks!!" He and his community of friends were a staple at our house when we were raising our kids. Yes, I do believe that he portrayed a Christlike character...in practice (even if staged)... as much as anyone in the public eye/media has EVER done. I think it was on NPR the other day that I heard that in real life he wasn't a perfect man, but he was a pretty decent guy.

Isn't Mr. Fred Rogers the kind of person we all ought to pattern our lives after? Kind, decent, moral.

I wish we had someone like him as a role model today.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:57 pm 
God

Runtu wrote:
Stem wrote:
I'm sure we largely agree here. I see my comments came off a little comabitve, or disagreeable--not my intention. and I don't think you have anything to be sorry about. I'm sorry if ever I've said something or done something to offend (sounds kind of a weak apology, I suppose. But I didn't think either of us have been unkind to each other).

This is turning into a love-fest worthy of Mr. Rogers himself! :)

Well you are special just the way you are ....

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:46 pm 
God

Great observations Dr. Scratch.

It's puzzling why most Mopologists carry around so much hate in their hearts. For example:

- DCP publicy stating how much he hated Angela Lansbury and even cheered when she died onscreen.
- DCP publicy stating his disdain for Gerald Bradford over and over.
-DCP publicy stating he's held a multi-year long grudge against DrW.
-DCP's fear and loathing of Dr. Scratch.
-DCP publicy stating his hatred for comedian Bill Maher and how he almost physically assaulted him at a restaurant.

It sure seems strange that these self-appointed defender's of the Mormon faith harbor so much anger and hate.

Don't even get me started about behavior of William Hamblin, Lou Midgley, Russel McGregor, William Schryer and Greg Smith.

"Someone like MG doesn't have the capacity to understand why a position is justified. The only thing worse than having MG against you, would be having MG on your side, defending you, with his mental capabilities on full display."

Gadianton, Dean of Cassius University

Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:49 pm 
Hermit

I've likely watched every Mr. Rogers episode more than once. The exciting part for me was Trolley going through the tunnel to make-believe land. (a little close to home, maybe?) Owl was my favorite character -- well, Owl and Trolley.

Anyway, one guess at the problem might be that Mr. Rogers, while religious, was Presbyterian and -- oddly like C.S. Lewis -- had a soft-spot for animals. He wasn't some loud, right-winger making a stand for the religious right -- demanding to hunt with assault weapons and eat the animals God provided for man to exploit. Can you imagine what make-believe land would be like with a more acceptable, NRA Rogers? Watch out Owl, you've been marked with an "X"! Trolley, careful around that bend, Brigham's watching.

Rogers had an inclusive message when you get down to it, and quite honestly, he was a secularist. A weak, algae-eating liberal who spent all his time giving out entitlements and trying not to offend anyone. And that's just not going to do for a soldier of Christ.

"...supporters of Billy Meier still point to the very clear photos of Pleiadian beam ships flying over his farm. They argue that for the photos to be fakes, we have to believe that a one-armed man who had no knowledge of Photoshop or other digital photography programs could have made such realistic photos and films..." -- D. R. Prothero

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm 
God

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Great observations Dr. Scratch.

It's puzzling why most Mopologists carry around such much hate in their hearts. For example:

- DCP publicy stating how much he hated Angela Lansbury and even cheered when she died onscreen.
- DCP publicy stating his disdain for Gerald Bradford over and over.
-DCP publicy stating he's held a multi-year long grudge against DrW.
-DCP's fear and loathing of Dr. Scratch.
-DCP publicy stating his hatred for comedian Bill Maher and how he almost physically assaulted him at a restaurant.

It sure seems strange that these self-appointed defender's of the Mormon faith harbor so much anger and hatefulness.

Don't even get me started about behavior of William Hamblin, Lou Midgley, Russel McGregor, William Schryer and Greg Smith.

Have you ever seen even one ounce of empathy come from his keyboard?

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:29 pm 
God

Elwood P. Dowd: Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say,

"In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood -

"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."

Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.

You may quote me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:35 pm 
Son of Perdition

Jersey Girl wrote:

He's a school teacher with a big mouth.

Be sure to check back for changes, updates, and additions

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:18 pm 
God

All I know is that I could put my two year old on the couch with a book and pillow..and Mr. Rogers soft kind voice put the little guy to sleep. I kind of admired him. My kids liked him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:58 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
I was, I have to admit, never a Mr. Rogers fan. I doubt that I ever watched an entire episode. I really couldn’t stand the show.

I never watched it as a child. I watched it as an adult. It was only after becoming a teacher that I watched it.

The man completely "got" young children and what they need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:16 pm 
God

If there was a neighbors battle, would Fred Rogers or Ned Flanders triumph? What if it was a cage match?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:44 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
I never watched it as a child. I watched it as an adult. It was only after becoming a teacher that I watched it.

I'm reminded of when Thomas Monson ridiculed the Beatles' notion that "all you need is love." Jesus said that the two great commandments were to love God and to love others. It really boils down to "all you need is love." How could a prophet have missed that basic teaching?

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

I'm reminded of when Thomas Monson ridiculed the Beatles' notion that "all you need is love." Jesus said that the two great commandments were to love God and to love others. It really boils down to "all you need is love." How could a prophet have missed that basic teaching?

Love doesn't require priesthood authority. He probably didn't want to put himself or his successors out of a job with all this love talk.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:40 am 
God

Exiled wrote:
Love doesn't require priesthood authority. He probably didn't want to put himself or his successors out of a job with all this love talk.

His mocking tone made me think he was kind of a dick. Of course, numerous people had already told me that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:56 am 
God

I just want to state that I didn't like Mr. Rogers' show. Never did. Not even as a kid. I'm sure he was a lovely man (and war veteran!), but he was too milquetoast for me.

Now. I'm absolutely 100% a raging asshole. Imma own that. And if raging assholes are good at one thing let me tell ya this. They're good at spotting other assholes. It's kinda like how bitches can instantly recognize another ____. Birds of feather n' all that.

Mr. Peterson and his little garment sniffing cabal are total assholes. 100%. I don't if the LDS church had anything to do with their becoming assholes, but they stand in stark comparison with my extended family and most of the men I knew growing up who were salt of the earth types.

Great observations Dr. Scratch!

- Doc

Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:43 pm 
God

I don't have much to say about Mr. Rogers, but I will just pop in to say that if you live in the Los Angeles area, the Skirball Center in west LA has a Jim Henson exhibit right now and it's fantastic. They have a real Kermit and Ernie and Bert on display, among countless other artifacts from his entire career.

The Jim Henson Exhibition

And it's free on Thursdays. Highly recommended.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
and war veteran

not even

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm 
God

Morley wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
and war veteran

not even that

Oh, it was a joke about him being a Marine sniper with dozens of kills.

- Doc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:39 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Oh, it was a joke about him being a Marine sniper with dozens of kills.

Ha! My naiveté is showing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm 
Seedy Academician

Funny thing, I watched quite a lot of Mr. Rogers as a kid. It always had a sort of dreamlike quality to it. Fred Rogers talks as though he is speaking from an oddly removed dimension of distilled gentleness and kindness. As a child I found it sort of reassuring and almost hypnotic—looking back at my reaction through adult eyes.

As an adult I watched a short documentary on Rogers and my respect for him increased exponentially. In my eyes, the man was a real saint, and he understood what people could well use more of for their peace, sanity, and sense of self-worth. Too bad there are so many hardened, selfish, and cynical souls out there.

I take issue with the Good Doctor in his perception that Mr. Rogers seems Mormony. In all my years as a Mormon I never encountered a role model who was as truly kind as Fred Rogers. Mormon kindness is too often shallow niceness. Ultimately Mormonism has too much of a gospel of success and appearance of perfection.

I am not saying that there are not many good Mormon people. What I am saying is that at its heart there resides real hardness and unkindness in Mormonism. That’s not all there is for sure. But it is there. It was there in Joseph Smith lashing out against the women who rejected his polygamous marriage proposals. It was there in the madness and warmongering of Sidney Rigdon. It was there in Brigham valuing his whiskey over his pioneers, or refusing to protect vulnerable travelers through his territory, or amassing a massive fortune while many of his people went about barefoot in rags. It was there in the racism, the denial of the priesthood to blacks. It is there in the continuing racism, sexism, and homophobia. It was there in the overbearing doctrinal arrogance of McConkie and the sexual anxiety of Boyd K. Packer. It is there in Holland angrily and fearfully frothing about those who come to disbelieve the Book of Mormon.

My Mormon relatives were not cuddly, warm people. They had a hard edge that came from living in a hard community. A community governed by harsh and not infrequently double-dealing, hypocritical leaders. I have a hard time seeing the milk of kindness in these people. For every LDS person of truly sterling character, I have known dozens, including men and women in high leadership positions, who were unkind, phony, hypocritical, arrogant, bigoted, the list could go on.

Mormon niceness, too often motivated by the wrong things, resembles Fred Rogers only in the most superficial way. Fred Rogers appears secular because he lives his Christianity with an unobtrusive humility and through daily good deeds. This in a world where religiosity is too often a weapon to wield against others who are different, or a mantle of pretend righteousness to impress one’s neighbors. If I were Fred Rogers, I would be a hundred times the person I am, and so would many of us, including a DCP.

About DCP, all I can say is that he baffles me. He and his pals definitely have that hardness I am talking about. The whole thing is hilariously predictable really. We all have our good points and bad points. It surprises me not in the least that DCP does not understand Fred Rogers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:19 pm 
God

Shulem wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

He's a school teacher with a big mouth.

That doesn't answer the question that I asked.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next