Crocodile Tears...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Crocodile Tears...

Post by _Markk »

I have been revisiting the PH ban since watching the "40 year celebration" the church recently put on. As most of you know who followed the "celebration" Oak's pretty much said that the ban was from God. In reading the Essay, Race and the Priesthood, the church... while not saying the ban was from God, said they "disavowed" the theories that the past GA used for the reasons for the ban. By default those theories would be the line of Cain, valor in the pre-existence, and over all obedience (I am not aware of any other reasons.)

I was reading through past GA teachings on the ban, and of folks with black skin. While reading a "Mormon Think" set of quotes I came across a quote by JFS from Doctrines of Salvation. I have the Kindle version of Doctrines of Salvation, so I wanted to double check it...here is a paste of the quote:

There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantages. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less. 20

Joseph Fielding Smith. Doctrines of Salvation: Sermons and Writings of Joseph Fielding Smith: Volumes 1-3 (Kindle Locations 1252-1255). Deseret Book Company. Kindle Edition.

Here is my point:

The brethren and the church put together this great gala and celebration...tears were shed and testimony's borne...yet for $37.99 you can go to the church owned Deseret Book Store and purchase this racist work.

And if that isn't enough...here is the description of the 3 volume set...

Doctrines of Salvation, Volume I-3, is an authoritative work, written by the most outstanding scholar of the gospel in the Church containing a wealth of explanations about a vast array of gospel topics, many of which can not be found in other sources. Add an authoritative source on issues frequently discussed today: What was the nature of our life in the pre-existence and what was it’s purpose? What is the true story of creation? What is the age of the earth? Can the theory of evolution harmonize with the Gospel? Do we believe in the Adam-God theory? What is the role of Adam in the plan of salvation? How does the fall of the first man affects our salvation? What are the requirements of the Divine Law of Witnesses? Why are there always two people present when the Priesthood and it's keys were restored? Why were two martyrs slain in this dispensation? What is the difference between the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of God? How can one distinguish between true and false revelation?

Explore these fascinating topics, plus many more, from the writings of Joseph Fielding Smith compiled by Elder Bruce R. McConkie.

My first thought for a title was..."don't piss on my back and tell me it's raining."
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Crocodile Tears...

Post by _I have a question »

You are quite correct in pointing out the intentional mealy mouthed disavowing in Race And The Priesthood.

Explicitly - the Church still believes the ban on people with black skin was doctrinally valid.
The only thing the Church has disavowed, is the reasons for it given by the Church Of The Past.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Another great post, Markk.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Thanks

The more I research this, the angrier I get for being brought up in that mess. My parents were awesome people...but they were asleep on their watch raising me and my 5 siblings. How they could let the church teach us this crap is really hard to understand.

I still have scars from this and it really bothers me when it raises it's ugly head.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"