Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I have a question wrote:I hope the work involved in splitting out these six pages was so time consuming and onerous that the moderation team will maybe think twice about giving MG the benefit of the doubt for the <insert ridiculous factor>th time.

Please post comments on this topic here, rather than the three threads I've split out. Thanks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Res Ipsa wrote:
I have a question wrote:I hope the work involved in splitting out these six pages was so time consuming and onerous that the moderation team will maybe think twice about giving MG the benefit of the doubt for the <insert ridiculous factor>th time.

Please post comments on this topic here, rather than the three threads I've split out. Thanks.

Its hard to tell what goes where. Typically when moderators move derailments they are retitled "From: <topic>. This thread is titled "Leftovers from <topic>" and virtually everything was moved there, but now some stuff has been moved back. What does "leftovers" mean?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:What does "leftovers" mean?

Usually cold pizza for breakfast....
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:
Lemmie wrote:What does "leftovers" mean?

Usually cold pizza for breakfast....

:lol: hence the confusion when a mod calls a thread by that name.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Res Ipsa wrote:Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.

Oh good grief. No, Res ipsa. Every time I Iook, there are a different number of threads, with a different number of posts in each and apparently multiple posts migrating back and forth between various versions. They have diferent names with nomenclature that defies logic (Leftovers? Really?). All to deal with a derailment that you joked with mentalgymnast about, a week ago! That's the mess you get. I'm trying to follow along but there is a limit. Mentalgymnast has a trolling pattern and you guys fall for it every time. But yes, we should all think long and hard about how we treat lds posters. Lds posters who troll are apparently your Achilles heel.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Lemmie wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.

Oh good grief. No, Res ipsa. Every time I Iook, there are a different number of threads, with a different number of posts in each and apparently multiple posts migrating back and forth between various versions. They have diferent names with nomenclature that defies logic (Leftovers? Really?). All to deal with a derailment that you joked with mentalgymnast about, a week ago! That's the mess you get. I'm trying to follow along but there is a limit. Mentalgymnast has a trolling pattern and you guys fall for it every time. But yes, we should all think long and hard about how we treat LDS posters. LDS posters who troll are apparently your Achilles heel.

I don’t understand what you mean by “no.” Is that “no” you won’t read the first post in the thread? I hope you do, as that’s where I explained exactly what I did, including my use of the term “leftover.”

When I first posted in the original thread, I did not conclude that it warranted a split at that time. When I next looked at the thread, Shades had intervened. As he was moderating the issue, I saw no need to get involved. When I returned from out of state this evening, I read through the thread. I thought it needed to be disentangled and volunteered to do the grunt work. Shades gave me the go ahead.

_lostindc
_Emeritus

Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy

Post by _lostindc »

Exiled wrote:Lostindc:

Does the Las Vegas exmo community have periodic get-togethers? I'd like to know when the next one is and throw a few back with everyone. PM me or post here if you would.

Pretty much weekly get-togethers. I stopped going because of my schedule. They can party pretty hard and I am just not into that scene at this point in my life. Most everyone is great and very relatable. The Facebook group is the place to connect, it's called something like Las Vegas Mormon Support group. McKnight and Haymore are the admins.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy

Post by _Dr Exiled »

lostindc wrote:
Exiled wrote:Lostindc:

Does the Las Vegas exmo community have periodic get-togethers? I'd like to know when the next one is and throw a few back with everyone. PM me or post here if you would.

Pretty much weekly get-togethers. I stopped going because of my schedule. They can party pretty hard and I am just not into that scene at this point in my life. Most everyone is great and very relatable. The Facebook group is the place to connect, it's called something like Las Vegas Mormon Support group. McKnight and Haymore are the admins.

Thanks!
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen