It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 pm
Posts: 16531
Location: Northern Virginia
Lemmie wrote:
Agreed, but Chap made an excellent point about how we all pretty much agree with that in theory and yet as a practical solution it doesn't work. People don't want to let things stand, unchallenged. That's a normal part of discussion, but it's being taken advantage of. I think the best way to consistently keep threads from being derailed is to move the derailments, a process that moderation already has in place and uses.


Totally agree. In case of derailment, report. Don't engage.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:12 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:16 pm
Posts: 28317
Location: Off the Deep End
Runtu wrote:
Lemmie wrote:
Agreed, but Chap made an excellent point about how we all pretty much agree with that in theory and yet as a practical solution it doesn't work. People don't want to let things stand, unchallenged. That's a normal part of discussion, but it's being taken advantage of. I think the best way to consistently keep threads from being derailed is to move the derailments, a process that moderation already has in place and uses.


Totally agree. In case of derailment, report. Don't engage.


There was no need to report a derailment on this thread. A moderator identified it as such TWICE on page 4 and did exactly jack about it.

I oughtta kick your butt.
<3

_________________
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb


Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:14 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:06 pm
Posts: 16531
Location: Northern Virginia
Jersey Girl wrote:
There was no need to report a derailment on this thread. A moderator identified it as such TWICE on page 4 and did exactly jack about it.

I oughtta kick your butt.
<3


That's what I get for not reading the whole thread. I just figured MG was doing his usual shtick, which I tend not to engage.

_________________
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm 
Founder & Visionary
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:07 pm
Posts: 12775
Location: Shady Acres Status: MODERATOR
Chap wrote:
I do wish, however, that they would be a little more concerned than they seem to be with MG's constant campaign of derails of substantive threads by posts that basically say "Rather than talk about the thread topic, I want to talk yet again about ... myself."

I'll do my best to be more cognizant of such things when they occur from now on.

_________________
One of my friends said, in all seriousness, "I think the brethren hate the missionaries."

--Runtu, 06-29-2018


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:05 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm
Posts: 12466
Lemmie wrote:
Runtu wrote:
You'll notice that I don't often engage MG's posts, even though I'm probably one of the very few people here who think he's being sincere. It's frustrating to have a discussion with someone who is so inconsistent in their approach. The best way to not derail a thread is not to respond when someone tries to derail it.

Agreed, but Chap made an excellent point about how we all pretty much agree with that in theory and yet as a practical solution it doesn't work. People don't want to let things stand, unchallenged. That's a normal part of discussion, but it's being taken advantage of. I think the best way to consistently keep threads from being derailed is to move the derailments, a process that moderation already has in place and uses.


If I remember shades asked Simon about it early on and Simon never complained about MG's participation. Threads almost never stay on topic as the topic is commonly finished early on in most threads. Simon's opening post pretty much covered it and apologists never stop by these days to challenge it. I do agree that off-topic posts should be made into a new thread.

_________________
42


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:15 pm 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 6700
Themis wrote:
Runtu wrote:
You'll notice that I don't often engage MG's posts, even though I'm probably one of the very few people here who think he's being sincere. It's frustrating to have a discussion with someone who is so inconsistent in their approach. The best way to not derail a thread is not to respond when someone tries to derail it.
Lemmie wrote:
Agreed, but Chap made an excellent point about how we all pretty much agree with that in theory and yet as a practical solution it doesn't work. People don't want to let things stand, unchallenged. That's a normal part of discussion, but it's being taken advantage of. I think the best way to consistently keep threads from being derailed is to move the derailments, a process that moderation already has in place and uses.


If I remember shades asked Simon about it early on and Simon never complained about MG's participation. Threads almost never stay on topic as the topic is commonly finished early on in most threads. Simon's opening post pretty much covered it and apologists never stop by these days to challenge it. I do agree that off-topic posts should be made into a new thread.

You're right, Simon's opening post was pretty devastating and what would an actual apologist say? I think I saw Brant Gardner in another discussion saying he would not say today what he said in the opening post video, which was filmed several years ago. I still think there was a VERY interesting discussion going on, however.

Re: conversational drift, I have no problem with that, and I've read with interest your line of questioning throughout this thread. What Chap and others, including myself, are talking about is a repeated derailment with the intent to disrupt that is NOT part of the flow of the discussion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:21 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:49 am
Posts: 8021
Location: Somewhere between bemused and curious.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Chap wrote:
I do wish, however, that they would be a little more concerned than they seem to be with MG's constant campaign of derails of substantive threads by posts that basically say "Rather than talk about the thread topic, I want to talk yet again about ... myself."

I'll do my best to be more cognizant of such things when they occur from now on.


You know Shades, if this keeps up we will have to reevaluate how much we are paying you.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am
Posts: 7379
I hope the work involved in splitting out these six pages was so time consuming and onerous that the moderation team will maybe think twice about giving MG the benefit of the doubt for the <insert ridiculous factor>th time.

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 6958
Location: On walkabout
I have a question wrote:
I hope the work involved in splitting out these six pages was so time consuming and onerous that the moderation team will maybe think twice about giving MG the benefit of the doubt for the <insert ridiculous factor>th time.


Please post comments on this topic here, rather than the three threads I've split out. Thanks.

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 6700
Res Ipsa wrote:
I have a question wrote:
I hope the work involved in splitting out these six pages was so time consuming and onerous that the moderation team will maybe think twice about giving MG the benefit of the doubt for the <insert ridiculous factor>th time.


Please post comments on this topic here, rather than the three threads I've split out. Thanks.

Its hard to tell what goes where. Typically when moderators move derailments they are retitled "From: <topic>. This thread is titled "Leftovers from <topic>" and virtually everything was moved there, but now some stuff has been moved back. What does "leftovers" mean?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:00 am 
God

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:01 am
Posts: 7379
Lemmie wrote:
What does "leftovers" mean?


Usually cold pizza for breakfast....

_________________
“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: From Nephi: A can do kinda guy (Internal textual eviden
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:03 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 6700
I have a question wrote:
Lemmie wrote:
What does "leftovers" mean?


Usually cold pizza for breakfast....

:lol: hence the confusion when a mod calls a thread by that name.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:05 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 6958
Location: On walkabout
Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:22 am 
God

Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm
Posts: 6700
Res Ipsa wrote:
Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.

Oh good grief. No, Res ipsa. Every time I Iook, there are a different number of threads, with a different number of posts in each and apparently multiple posts migrating back and forth between various versions. They have diferent names with nomenclature that defies logic (Leftovers? Really?). All to deal with a derailment that you joked with mentalgymnast about, a week ago! That's the mess you get. I'm trying to follow along but there is a limit. Mentalgymnast has a trolling pattern and you guys fall for it every time. But yes, we should all think long and hard about how we treat LDS posters. LDS posters who troll are apparently your Achilles heel.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:44 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm
Posts: 6958
Location: On walkabout
Lemmie wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Lemmie, please see the first post in this thread.

Oh good grief. No, Res ipsa. Every time I Iook, there are a different number of threads, with a different number of posts in each and apparently multiple posts migrating back and forth between various versions. They have diferent names with nomenclature that defies logic (Leftovers? Really?). All to deal with a derailment that you joked with mentalgymnast about, a week ago! That's the mess you get. I'm trying to follow along but there is a limit. Mentalgymnast has a trolling pattern and you guys fall for it every time. But yes, we should all think long and hard about how we treat LDS posters. LDS posters who troll are apparently your Achilles heel.


I don’t understand what you mean by “no.” Is that “no” you won’t read the first post in the thread? I hope you do, as that’s where I explained exactly what I did, including my use of the term “leftover.”

When I first posted in the original thread, I did not conclude that it warranted a split at that time. When I next looked at the thread, Shades had intervened. As he was moderating the issue, I saw no need to get involved. When I returned from out of state this evening, I read through the thread. I thought it needed to be disentangled and volunteered to do the grunt work. Shades gave me the go ahead.

_________________
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:06 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm
Posts: 1931
Exiled wrote:
Lostindc:

Does the Las Vegas exmo community have periodic get-togethers? I'd like to know when the next one is and throw a few back with everyone. PM me or post here if you would.


Pretty much weekly get-togethers. I stopped going because of my schedule. They can party pretty hard and I am just not into that scene at this point in my life. Most everyone is great and very relatable. The Facebook group is the place to connect, it's called something like Las Vegas Mormon Support group. McKnight and Haymore are the admins.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:43 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm
Posts: 1394
lostindc wrote:
Exiled wrote:
Lostindc:

Does the Las Vegas exmo community have periodic get-togethers? I'd like to know when the next one is and throw a few back with everyone. PM me or post here if you would.


Pretty much weekly get-togethers. I stopped going because of my schedule. They can party pretty hard and I am just not into that scene at this point in my life. Most everyone is great and very relatable. The Facebook group is the place to connect, it's called something like Las Vegas Mormon Support group. McKnight and Haymore are the admins.


Thanks!

_________________
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], SteelHead and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group