It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leftovers From Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 am 
God

[I have taken Simon's original thread and split three different topics out of it. One is Simon's original topic, one is MG's topic of internal textual evidence, and one is Kishkumen's topic of the BofM as a white colonialist work. This thread contains the leftovers from that process. If you think a post is in the wrong place, please PM me with a link to the post and where you think it should go. Thanks. RI]

Runtu wrote:
lostindc wrote:
I couldn’t stop watching the linked documentary in the opening post. The documentary is so funny. I can’t believe I bought into this whole Mormon thing! I mean, there was a small period of time where I could stamp my faith with the “I know.”

I feel sad that now that I live in the west I can’t take advantage of going to a FAIR conference or a special night with one of the cult hero’s, e.g. DCP and really take in the different diffusion theories focuses on Lemon, Lameuel, Nephi, etc and how they absorbed into the Central American people.

I miss the days of bold apologetics. These dudes made documentaries with background music and all the good stuff. Now, they won’t even visit this board, and goddamm1t, this board is ground zero in many ways. Please excuse my rant.

I know what you mean. I did a lot of eye-rolling when I watched that "documentary" (using the term loosely). They have Nephi's little band strolling into the middle of a city that's been around for 900 years, quickly winning them over, and becoming the driving force for the development of the civilization. The Nephite kings rule the city for 400 years, and yet there's nary a trace of them anywhere.

What's really going on is, "Hey! Here's a city that more or less matches the time frame of the Nephites, and it's pretty advanced. Must be the Land of Nephi." I don't mean to be snarky, but yes, that video was absurd.

Where in the west are you? I'm back in Utah, but I won't be visiting any apologists anytime soon.

I am in the Vegas area. I thought about you around a week ago when I was reading this board. I wondered what you were up to because I did read that you moved back to Utah.

We were going to move to Utah at one point, but wife’s job stuff got us to Vegas. Reason for considering a move to Utah was due to my wife’s mom’s illness, but I couldn't move to Utah. I love the beauty but the cold weather gets me and I kind of don’t like my inlaws. The exMo community is fun in Vegas. I had no exMos or waivering Mormons to hang with back east so this is a nice change.

Are you happy to be back in Utah? I know that the east coast can be a bummer for some, especially if you love the mountains and national parks.

Post subject: Re: Nephi: A can do kinda guy
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 am 
God

lostindc wrote:
I am in the Vegas area. I thought about you around a week ago when I was reading this board. I wondered what you were up to because I did read that you moved back to Utah.

We were going to move to Utah at one point, but wife’s job stuff got us to Vegas. Reason for considering a move to Utah was due to my wife’s mom’s illness, but I couldn't move to Utah. I love the beauty but the cold weather gets me and I kind of don’t like my inlaws. The exMo community is fun in Vegas. I had no exMos or waivering Mormons to hang with back east so this is a nice change.

Are you happy to be back in Utah? I know that the east coast can be a bummer for some, especially if you love the mountains and national parks.

I like it here. I think it's easier living in Davis County, where it's not familiar, and I don't know anyone. We really liked Virginia, except that it was expensive and we were a long way from our kids. Life is good here.

If you meet my cousin, Ryan McKnight, tell him I said hi.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
lostindc wrote:

I like it here. I think it's easier living in Davis County, where it's not familiar, and I don't know anyone. We really liked Virginia, except that it was expensive and we were a long way from our kids. Life is good here.

Definitely makes sense to relocate near the kids.

Yeah, I've met Ryan McKnight a number of times. Crazy Ryan is your cousin. He's really putting himself out there with the leaks. Pretty damn bold.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:51 am 
God

lostindc wrote:
Definitely makes sense to relocate near the kids.

Yeah, I've met Ryan McKnight a number of times. Crazy Ryan is your cousin. He's really putting himself out there with the leaks. Pretty damn bold.

Well, technically he's my wife's cousin, but I claim him. He's a good guy, and totally fearless, from what I have seen.

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:49 pm 
God

Runtu wrote:
lostindc wrote:

You’ve moved back?

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:02 am 
God

Craig Paxton wrote:
You’ve moved back?

Yep, we moved to Layton the first week of May. I do think it's easier here because I have no history here and it isn't familiar territory. Because I work on base, I don't work with a huge percentage of Mormons, so the church is about as much a presence for me as it was in Virginia, meaning it's limited to my family.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:50 am 
God

Runtu wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:
You’ve moved back?

Yep, we moved to Layton the first week of May. I do think it's easier here because I have no history here and it isn't familiar territory. Because I work on base, I don't work with a huge percentage of Mormons, so the church is about as much a presence for me as it was in Virginia, meaning it's limited to my family.

Well I'd love to take you to lunch

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am 
God

Craig Paxton wrote:

That would be really nice. Maybe later this week? I'm on my own until Friday evening, as my wife is in Idaho helping our daughter with the new baby. Send me a PM, and we'll sort something out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:06 am 
God

Lostindc:

Does the Las Vegas exmo community have periodic get-togethers? I'd like to know when the next one is and throw a few back with everyone. PM me or post here if you would.

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:02 am 
CTR B

Runtu wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:

That would be really nice. Maybe later this week? I'm on my own until Friday evening, as my wife is in Idaho helping our daughter with the new baby. Send me a PM, and we'll sort something out.

Could I invite myself to your lunch? I just PM'd you both.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:13 am 
God

mcjathan wrote:
Could I invite myself to your lunch? I just PM'd you both.

The more, the merrier. I just PMed you back.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 am 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
That. Right there. That proves what MG is saying.

- Doc

No it doesn't. Why not engage with what I actually said?

Regards,
MG

Maybe for the same reason you want to talk bout word prints rather than the topic of the thread?

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 am 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:
Maybe for the same reason you want to talk bout word prints rather than the topic of the thread?

I'll wait for Simon's response, if he decides to do so. I'm actually more interested in his thoughts in response to what I've said/asked than I am in going off on any other tangents, derails, etc.

I think I've posed an interesting juxtaposition to his expressed thoughts in this thread.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 am 
God

mentalgymnast wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

I'll wait for Simon's response, if he decides to do so. I'm actually more interested in his thoughts in response to what I've said/asked than I am in going off on any other tangents, derails, etc.

I think I've posed an interesting juxtaposition to his expressed thoughts in this thread.

Regards,
MG

Right, as long as the derail is on a topic that interests you, it's okay. :lol:

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:23 pm 
God

Res Ipsa wrote:

I have reported the blatant derail. MG is up to his usual games.

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm 
God

Chap wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

Leopards...spots. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:39 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Chap wrote:

[MODERATOR NOTE: Simon, are you fine with this as an example of the typical conversational drift, or do you want the focus of this thread to return to Nephi and his can-do-ness?]

--Runtu, 06-29-2018

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:39 pm 
God

Chap wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:

I wonder how many chances moderators will give him this time round in his ever-repeating cycle...7?

“A reliable way to make people believe in falsehoods is frequent repetition, because familiarity is not easily distinguished from truth. Authoritarian institutions and marketers have always known this fact.”
― Daniel Kahneman, Nobel Prize Winner, 'Thinking, Fast and Slow'

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:29 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Chap wrote:

[MODERATOR NOTE: Simon, are you fine with this as an example of the typical conversational drift, or do you want the focus of this thread to return to Nephi and his can-do-ness?]

If Simon doesn't return and have anything to say in response to my post I am totally cool with not pursuing that line of thought if it is seemingly derailing the thread from its intended topic. Although I must say, I haven't seen the thread stay directly on topic since I left earlier. For some reason, my post and the juxtaposition of my thoughts/questions up against what Simon was saying apparently created a bit of discomfort or reticence to respond directly to my post.

My thinking is that I didn't observe the unwritten order of things and/or wasn't being PC in the thoughts/questions I expressed. One way to curtail a conversation is to simply throw out the word 'derail!' and/or troll. If you go back and read the thread from the beginning and look at my entry into the thread and my ensuing posts I think you will see that I was not derailing or trolling.

What I did do, however, was not tow the party line. Back for one day and I'm already being accused of a derail rather than have others honestly engage me in useful/productive conversation.

Sheesh.

Anyway, Shades, if Simon sees my interjection into his thread as being derail and would rather that I bow out. That's fine.

Any word from him? I haven't seen anything thus far.

To be honest, I was curious as to how he could dovetail or hold the multiple author/prophet/Wordprint Studies up against a non-historical BofM and not come away with a wee bit of cognitive dissonance. I have a hard time dovetailing the two sides of the coin I referred to earlier in the thread.

If that's all considered to be a derail...more so than other threads where people are going off this way or that...then, well, whatever.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:32 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
I wonder how many chances moderators will give him this time round in his ever-repeating cycle...7?

I would expect that they will be fair. That's all I can ask.

Regards,
MG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am 
Dragon

Still pushing the same apologist BS. It's like a broken record. What does that have to do with the opening post? NOTHING. The only reason why anyone chimed in on WP "studies" is that you brought it up and we have claimed over and over again that it is worthless BS. But indeed carry on with your diversion.

Trying to understand this world;
But I cast at swine all my pearls,
I cast at swine all my pearls.