LDS Church updates guidelines for interviewing youth

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

LDS Church updates guidelines for interviewing youth

Post by _SteelHead »

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46346537&nid=1 ... wing-youth

Wonder if they will counsel bishops to ask nothing more than "do you live the law of chastity?"

Naw-----
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church updates guidelines for interviewing youth

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Bishops need to explain to 8 yr olds what these "sins" are in graphic detail and then ask if they practice them. Only that way can a bishop really be sure the innocent 8 yr old is ready for baptism. So, these changes are merely lip service.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It would make sense for Kirton McConkie to develop a fairly extensive waiver of rights for parents to sign guaranteeing bishops carte blanch in asking sexual questions. At the same time Stake Presidents could make signing such waivers part of the parent's requirement for a temple recommend. None of that would appear in any Handbook, instead, it would be codified into the Unwritten Order of Things. Plus, everybody would have to take blood oaths never to reveal any of this to Mormon Leaks and an appropriate penalty sign could accompany the oath. That should do the trick.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

How is an 8 year old supposed to consider and answer these questions?
And how is an untrained volunteer supposed to understand how to ask an 8 year old these questions?

Baptismal Interview Questions
Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior and Redeemer of the world?

Do you believe that the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?

What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?

Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? Have you ever committed a homosexual transgression?

You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand about the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between one man and one woman.

The law of tithing.

The Word of Wisdom.

The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to others.

When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Post by _slskipper »

I read the article. Biggest bunch of nothing that I've ever seen in my life. They carefully instructed the bishops to change absolutely nothing at all.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

slskipper wrote:I read the article. Biggest bunch of nothing that I've ever seen in my life. They carefully instructed the bishops to change absolutely nothing at all.

Did you expect anything different?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')