LDS Church's Market Value

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

LDS Church's Market Value

Post by _moksha »

Here is an interesting post on the LDS Church's market value.

https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3137
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Church's Market Value

Post by _moksha »

(Sorry if this is actually old outdated information that has been previously posted. In that case, then nevermind.)
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

I haven’t seen it before.

His assumptions seem to be logically sound, and his ‘guess’ range on the valuation of between $400-800 billion - based on the stock holding of $32 billion being at least 20% of the Church’s total wealth, seems as sound an estimate as is necessary at this point.

$40 million a year on humanitarian programmes is 0.01% of the minimum end of the valuation scale.
The Church finance department won’t even ‘round’ to two decimal places.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

God wants his holy portfolio to rise to $1 trillion.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

You have to think about the mentality of the men at the top. These are men who lived through the cold war and were part of a leadership group that strongly encouraged every member family to have on hand enough food to feed their families for a freaking year. The amount of money and resources my low middle class parents wasted buying and storing enough food to feed a family of 9 for a year is staggering. Why no one pointed out back then that people who had this stored food would just die from thirst or disease or be killed by others stealing their food, is beyond me. Yeah, we were just going to sit hunkered down in our house living off 50 pound cans of wheat and dry powered milk in 50 gallon drums and no potable water for a year while the world outside was going to hell and no one would notice that we had food. The whole concept was just stupid

So these men are of the mindset that they need to store up their reserves for dire times for themselves and the organization they manage, missing the fact that there are a lot of people in this world who live in dire times right now. But rather than feed the poor and sick they have now, they are saving up so they can feed themselves if the need ever arises. I can just see a world wide depression with billions starving, and these guys bragging about how they are able to keep the temples running while people die.

"Hey isn't it great we have all these new potential converts to baptize for the dead? Trylu the Lord is blessing us."
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

His basic assumption is that the $32B is 20% of the Church's U.S. stock portfolio (the other 80% being passively invested (e.g. index funds) for a total of $160 Billion in the U.S. stock market, and that this $160 Billion invested in the U.S. stock market is only 20% of its total invested wealth, for a total wealth of $800 Billion.

Personally, I don't see any reason to jump to these conclusions. An insurance company will likely invest 90% of its assets very conservatively and the remaining 10% aggressively, but there is little reason to think the Church takes this approach.

I would divide the church's revenue-producing assets into 3 chunks: businesses it owns, stocks, and cash. The businesses would include all of the ranches, farms, insurance companies, radio stations, TV stations, news papers, books stores, malls, etc. It's hard to value all of that at more than, say, $18B. Maybe I'm wrong, but it is that order of magnitude.

It's then going to hold on to enough cash to fund ongoing operations and serve as an emergency fund. That could be another couple of billion.

It's then going to invest the rest in the stock market. I can't imagine why they would say, "let's actively invest 4% and put the remaining 96% in index funds, bonds, and oversees investments!" Rather, they are going to say, bond yields suck, and we aren't experts at international investing. Since we have a long-term investment horizon, the best returns for the least amount of risk is the U.S. stock market.

They might diversify and invest 20% in bonds and internationally. But in general, people either buy into John Bogle's philosophy about index funds, or they do not. If they do, they'll invest in index funds. If they don't, they'll pick stocks. The Church picks stocks.

So I'd guess they have a total of $32B/.8 = $40 billion in stocks and bonds, including their international investments. Another $20 billion for cash and the businesses they operate, and the business portfolio is up to maybe $60 billion.

That is a much more realistic number.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari