Mandatory year between civil marriage & sealing: Exceptions?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Re: Mandatory year between civil marriage & sealing: Excepti

Post by _SuperDell »

God is no respecter of persons but he is Super Aware of boundary lines of various Nations and enforces Temple Rules to follow the law.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Looks like Shades may have been onto something here.

Not sure why this thread is in Telestial, but this thread necro seems appropriate:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19308
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Holy Ghost
_Emeritus

Post by _Holy Ghost »

Shulem wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:My wife's uncle, who we were staying with at the time, told us that even though we were technically married upon receiving the license, he didn't want us having sex in his house until after the temple sealing the next day.

Since when is being sealed in the temple a requirement for a couple who are legally and lawfully married to have sex? That's nuts.

That's what she said while holding her new husband's.
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

MsJack wrote:Looks like Shades may have been onto something here.

I will, of course, be sending my co-worker a link to this story as soon as he returns to the country.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Someone tell us about the Mitt Romney wedding- his wife had converted from episcopal to lds and having her non - member family participate in a "wedding" was a "must"!

k
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

kairos wrote:Someone tell us about the Mitt Romney wedding- his wife had converted from episcopal to LDS and having her non - member family participate in a "wedding" was a "must"!

k

There were only 13 temples when the Romneys married in 1969, none of which were anywhere near Michigan. I believe the policy always allowed exceptions when a temple was more than 1 day's travel away.

However, the Romneys obviously had the resources to fly to a temple at will, so at a minimum, someone looked the other way for them.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter