Come Fly With Me...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Re: Come Fly With Me...

Post by _I have a question »

Lemmie wrote:when this was discussed a while back, Doctor Steuss made an interesting discovery about Dieter not being appointed Chief Pilot until AFTER the hijacking incident :
In 1970, at age 29, Dieter Uchtdorf made captain with Lufthansa, a rank he was once told he could never achieve until late in his career. Then in a rather meteoric rise this airborne Wunderkind was made manager of the 737 fleet (1972), director of the Arizona training school (1975), chief pilot and head of cockpit crews (1980), and finally senior vice president of flight operations (1982).

It appears that when the incident took place (according to this timeline), he was the manager of the 737 fleet. He didn't become chief pilot until 1980.
viewtopic.php?p=1070071#p1070071

As I understand it, he was Chief Pilot of just the B737 fleet when the Hijack took place.
He became Chief Pilot of all cockpit crews later on in 1980.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

I have a question wrote:As I understand it, he was Chief Pilot of just the B737 fleet when the Hijack took place.
He became Chief Pilot of all cockpit crews later on in 1980.

It's a minor point, I'm not quibbling, but I'm not sure how you got that. Is 'manager' of 747 fleet the same as 'Chief Pilot' of 737 fleet? From the end of Steuss's quote:
It appears that when the incident took place (according to this timeline), he was the manager of the 737 fleet. He didn't become chief pilot until 1980.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

There is much more to the lying exaggeration.
When dunderhead was called as an apostle, jowled jaw Holland
wrote that big D almost single handed flew the plane ,negotiated with the hijackers ( dieter had to speak in tongues since he did not know the
language of the hijackers) ; he also had zero hostage negotiations training- even D was embarrassed by Hollands made up story which is archived somewhere.
k