Spencer L. Kimball, SWK's apostate son

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Spencer L. Kimball, SWK's apostate son

Post by _Maksutov »

Does anyone have more information?

From Wikipedia:

Spencer LeVan Kimball (August 26, 1918 – October 26, 2003)[1] was an American lawyer and professor at the University of Utah, the University of Michigan Law School and the University of Chicago.

Kimball was the oldest son of Spencer W. Kimball and his wife Camilla Eyring Kimball. He was born in Thatcher, Arizona and raised in Safford, Arizona. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of Arizona and then served in the United States navy on the Admiral's staff as a Japanese interpreter during World War II.

He received his law degree from the University of Utah. He was later a Rhodes Scholar studying at Lincoln College, Oxford. He received his SJD from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.[2] He later served on the law faculty there and was the youngest dean of law in the history of the University of Utah. He was also on the faculty of the University of Michigan Law School and the University of Chicago. At the University of Chicago he was the Seymour Logan Professor of Law.

Kimball helped to established an American Civil Liberties Union chapter in Utah.

Although he was widely associated with the LDS Church because of his father's prominent leadership positions, Kimball ceased his activity with the church while in his thirties and remained irreligious for the rest of his life.[3] Kimball never desired to formally leave the LDS church, and took pride in his Mormon pioneer heritage and his father's position as church president, but gradually stopped believing in the divine claims of the LDS church and all other religions.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_L._Kimball
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: Spencer L. Kimball, SWK's apostate son

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Seems to be consistent with several other members of the top 15. I am personally aware of at least 1 who has a non believing child who could be called an apostate. I'm sure that there is more than this one.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Spencer L. Kimball, SWK's apostate son

Post by _Dr Exiled »

He taught a summer class on insurance regulation at the U of U law school when I was there. I took the class because he was one of the experts on the subject and found it to be interesting. He was kind of a straight forward lecturer and didn't care much for humor but I enjoyed the class. This was in the mid 90's so he was advanced in age. He did acknowledge his heritage the first day to get it out of the way and said he didn't attend or believe and left it at that. At the time, I was very jack-mormon, lived with my g.f. and so I didn't care about why he didn't believe.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen