Nephi...Again!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Red Ryder
_Emeritus

Re: Nephi...Again!

Post by _Red Ryder »

grindael wrote:I never really thought about that, Shades. Can you elaborate why you think so. (Really).

Grindael, how does the church discredit Coray's reference to Nephi?

Over at NOM a reference to Coray came up in a quote of a Bednar talk. I'm wondering because this looks like a great example of the church cherry picking portions of Coray where convenient? Bednar references Howard and Martha Coray's notes below as "the more complete set of notes..."

The statements by Joseph Smith and Orson F. Whitney are construed by some members of the Church to mean that wayward children unconditionally receive the blessings of salvation because of and through the faithfulness of parents. However, this interpretation is moderated by the fact that the most complete account of the Prophet’s sermon was not available to Church historians at the time they compiled an amalgamated version of his teachings from the notes of Willard Richards and William Clayton. In the more complete set of notes recorded by Howard and Martha Coray, Joseph Smith is shown to have qualified his statement to make the promised blessings conditional upon the obedience of the children:

Here's the NOM thread:

Howard Coray reference by Bednar
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

grindael wrote:I never really thought about that, Shades. Can you elaborate why you think so. (Really).

Let me clarify: I think the Moroni OUTSIDE the Book of Mormon is patterned on Sidney Rigdon--the yearly visits, the revelation about the golden plates, etc.--not the Moroni INSIDE the Book of Mormon.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Mormon Think
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormon Think »

Here's everything I could find on the subject when I research it years ago:

http://www.mormonthink.com/nephiweb.htm

Bill
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

grindael wrote:
This early draft simply disappeared and has never been found. (As far as we know).

Are there any rabbit trails as to where the draft may be or what happened to it...or why it disappeared?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Nope, but then no one knew about the Coray manuscripts either and they were in the FP Vault.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

But I think that it's probably gone, if it were there, the JSP probably would have published it, unless it contains some really controversial things. It's a crap shoot, for sure.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.