This is NOT a Good Sign for the Mormon Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

This is NOT a Good Sign for the Mormon Church

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Some interesting information came into my position while spending time with TBM family members over the memorial weekend. While this information might seem obvious, hearing it actually stated and put into action brought into sharp focus one of the problems facing the church.

So here's the information:

The church is shrinking in SL county. Several stakes have actually turned over surplus buildings that their stake populations can no longer use or justify due to their decreasing numbers, back to the corporate church. The bright spot is that the church is growing in other parts of the Wasatch front. So the church has decided NOT to build any new buildings in those areas along the Wasatch front where they are seeing growth and instead have members in those growing areas hold their ward meetings in the surplus buildings spread throughout the Salt Lake valley. While this will save the church millions in new building costs...the members who will now be required to drive maybe up to 30 mins one way to attend church will carry the burden members outside of the Wasatch front have had to bear forever.

It should be interesting to watch as wasatch front members are asked to make similar sacrifices to those of members ourtside of Utah. Will they be willing to make those sacrifices or just decide to throw in the towel?
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: This is NOT a Good Sign for the Mormon Church

Post by _candygal »

Winter along any part of the Wasatch front will just keep people home and how many times a week would they have to make the trip..?
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Some will throw in the towel and attendance will be less for others. When I was young, we lived in the bay area (sf area) and had to travel 45 mins to church. We missed 4 to 5 times per year and my parents were real tbm back then as well as now. It was just too much trouble for my mom to get three young kids ready sometimes.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

WTF

Mormons have hard enough time getting to church when its minutes down the street.

I guess the beast is being bled. Both financially and membership wise.

But tithes and membership can only exist together.

So they will kill the membership because they can't afford new buildings, which in turn will kill more of the incoming finances.

#deathspiral
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_Phaedrus Ut
_Emeritus

Post by _Phaedrus Ut »

Based on how busy Costco is on Sunday now and the lines at the liquor store I'm guessing there are a lot of Mormons leaving the church.

Phaedrus