the men behind LDS money

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

the men behind LDS money

Post by _Markk »

Two or three years ago, maybe longer, there was article going around, I believe I read it here...which told about the decision makers for the big business decisions of the church. Does any one remember who these men are?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: the men behind LDS money

Post by _Markk »

Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Markk wrote:Two or three years ago, maybe longer, there was article going around, I believe I read it here...which told about the decision makers for the big business decisions of the church. Does any one remember who these men are?

The real CEO of the Church is the Presiding Bishop. The Presiding Bishop is in charge of all of the businesses and other assets that the church owns. He is the big decision maker. That is why the Presideing Bishopric consists of people with superlatively-impresive business credentials who are at the pinacle of their careers.

The Prophet is more like the Chairman of the Board. The Board consists of the First Presidency, the Presiding Bishopric, and the Controller. Those seven board members are the only ones authorized to know all of the details of the Church's assets.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Analytics wrote:
Markk wrote:Two or three years ago, maybe longer, there was article going around, I believe I read it here...which told about the decision makers for the big business decisions of the church. Does any one remember who these men are?

The real CEO of the Church is the Presiding Bishop. The Presiding Bishop is in charge of all of the businesses and other assets that the church owns. He is the big decision maker. That is why the Presideing Bishopric consists of people with superlatively-impresive business credentials who are at the pinacle of their careers.

The Prophet is more like the Chairman of the Board. The Board consists of the First Presidency, the Presiding Bishopric, and the Controller. Those seven board members are the only ones authorized to know all of the details of the Church's assets.

Do you know who the current controller is?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

As Analytics pointed out, the Corporation of the Presiding Bishopric deals with the finances for the Corporation of the First Presidency.

As far as major expenditures go, I remember that story from 2008 where the Church bought all that land in Arizona for three times its worth to keep a member of the Church's Finance Committee from taking a loss, that the Finance Committee has a big say so - especially when it overrides common business sense.

The story helps illustrate the chiasmus-like concept of paying the Lord on gross and being bailed out grossly.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

Markk wrote:Do you know who the current controller is?

As far as I know, it is still Alan L. Bott. I don't know anything about him, other than the fact that 5 years ago he signed a leaked document as the controller.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Analytics wrote:
Markk wrote:Do you know who the current controller is?

As far as I know, it is still Alan L. Bott. I don't know anything about him, other than the fact that 5 years ago he signed a leaked document as the controller.

https://archive.org/stream/MormonDocume ... r_djvu.txt
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')