Naked Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Naked Mormonism

Post by _Shulem »

Craig Paxton wrote:Not a fan, can’t get past his referring to Smith merely as Joe. While i wouldn’t consider myself a fan of Joseph Smith either, I think it’s rather flippant and somewhat disrespectful to call Smith Joe.

Back in the day lot's of people called him Joe, friend and foe. I have absolutely no respect for that lying cheater of a man. He was scum. He deserves nothing but contempt.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

RockSlider wrote:
Craig Paxton wrote:Not a fan, can’t get past his referring to Smith merely as Joe. While i wouldn’t consider myself a fan of Joseph Smith either, I think it’s rather flippant and somewhat disrespectful to call Smith Joe.

Kind of funny how we can call him a snake in the grass for so many miss-deeds (dare I say evil deeds?) and yet feel bad about calling him 'Joe'.

Let's make sure and not leave out those respectful middle initials of all our modern leaders as well!

I agree...it doesn't make sense...it's not that I have any lingering love or respect of Smith...but Naked Mormonism's tone is too anti Mormon for my tastes...and I'm a burn it all down and throw what's left on a dung heap...kind of guy...so that's saying a lot. I did listen to his Thinking Atheist interview...and Blankenship did refer to Smith as Joseph during that interview...but call Brigham Bloody Brigham Young. I would just prefer a more straight forward, just the facts, kind of podcast style instead of his clearly anti bent...and again I hate even using anti Mormon tagline...but if it were ever appropriate Blankenship would certainly qualify
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Craig Paxton wrote:
I agree...it doesn't make sense...it's not that I have any lingering love or respect of Smith...but Naked Mormonism's tone is too anti Mormon for my tastes...and I'm a burn it all down and throw what's left on a dung heap...kind of guy...so that's saying a lot. I did listen to his Thinking Atheist interview...and Blankenship did refer to Smith as Joseph during that interview...but call Brigham Bloody Brigham Young. I would just prefer a more straight forward, just the facts, kind of podcast style instead of his clearly anti bent...and again I hate even using anti Mormon tagline...but if it were ever appropriate Blankenship would certainly qualify

I predict you will become an angry Mormon apostate as time goes on. Perhaps more like me? I dare say!

:mrgreen:
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

Craig Paxton wrote:

He acknowledged in one of his early episodes that he got some feedback from listeners who didn't like his nicknames and profanity, but he made the decision to continue doing it because there are already plenty of podcasts that cover Mormon history in a more professional manner. Naked Mormonism is very much Mormon history from the unfiltered perspective of Bryce Blankenagel. I find it very entertaining.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

DarkHelmet wrote:He acknowledged in one of his early episodes that he got some feedback from listeners who didn't like his nicknames and profanity, but he made the decision to continue doing it because there are already plenty of podcasts that cover Mormon history in a more professional manner. Naked Mormonism is very much Mormon history from the unfiltered perspective of Bryce Blankenagel. I find it very entertaining.

Amen. It's about time we get some good podcasts that are not afraid to offend and speak sharply. The Mormons deserve to be swatted down and told how ridiculous their cult is.

Stupid Mormons. Stupid Joe.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

Shulem wrote:Amen. It's about time we get some good podcasts that are not afraid to offend and speak sharply. The Mormons deserve to be swatted down and told how ridiculous their cult is.

Stupid Mormons. Stupid Joe.

You always make me laugh...
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

DarkHelmet wrote:He acknowledged in one of his early episodes that he got some feedback from listeners who didn't like his nicknames and profanity, but he made the decision to continue doing it because there are already plenty of podcasts that cover Mormon history in a more professional manner. Naked Mormonism is very much Mormon history from the unfiltered perspective of Bryce Blankenagel. I find it very entertaining.

He has several CC podcasts that indicate 'clean' i.e. safer to pass on to a TBM.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

RockSlider wrote:

He has several CC podcasts that indicate 'clean' i.e. safer to pass on to a TBM.

Thanks. I'll have to check those out.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

I really don't care for Bryce all that much. He repeats things constantly and deep dives into obscure personal thoughts too much. From time to time he reveals his lack of depth in actual personal involvement (inactive at a very young age, no temple, no mission). However, I have been learning many things about Mormon history which I never realized before.

The whole Kirtland deal is amazing. The concept of mob rule with no consequences in the 1800's is amazing. Joseph Smith's twisted path through all of this is amazing.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

RockSlider wrote:I really don't care for Bryce all that much. He repeats things constantly and deep dives into obscure personal thoughts too much. From time to time he reveals his lack of depth in actual personal involvement (inactive at a very young age, no temple, no mission). However, I have been learning many things about Mormon history which I never realized before.

The whole Kirtland deal is amazing. The concept of mob rule with no consequences in the 1800's is amazing. Joseph Smith's twisted path through all of this is amazing.

I've listened a bit here or there. My take is, he has a perspective of the history that is way too biased. He comes off to me like an apologist might when he defends at all costs. He speaks of tiny parallels as if they retell the whole story. He tries too hard to make the mundane into conspiracy. Its ok as long as you realize that. He tries to make clear when he goes off the rails a bit, but he's not always good at that.

That's my take. I like the walk through though. I think I only got to about the point where the Church is getting organized or a little later. I'll have to revisit.