How Do You Spend Your Sundays Now?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Re: How Do You Spend Your Sundays Now?

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Well I know what I don't do on Sunday, or any other day for that matter, and that is read Dan's blog. So I am saving some time there.

:lol:
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

I am still working on Sundays...but just two more Sundays until I retire..and have wonderful plans!

First of all..everyone in Logan is in church on Sunday...that means mainstreet is finally free to drive or to walk around..I can ride my bike and not see a soul..everyone is in church..should I pass a family walking with strollers and kids..I smile..and think..if you were in church..everyone would be separated. I will love my Sundays..!
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Whether it's a bike ride, outdoor pick-up basketball, going to the beach, sailing, golf, or working, the point is I'm acting according to my own preferences and not those of the out of touch leaders of an outdated fundamentalist cult.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I don't have time to re-read the blog right now, but did anyone notice the comments regarding funerals and grief support?

Believe me, I get what he's saying and yes, that's an advantage of church fellowship. But to assume that this doesn't happen outside of an organized religion is foolishly naïve'.

He almost makes it seem as though if you're not in a church, no one will show up to your funeral and care for your loved ones.

So strange...

I mean just in terms of this board that is observable to all of us. We've supported folks we post with and those who have posted calls for help for others. The homeless in Nevada, flood victims, all kinds of stuff. One of our guys who was in close proximity of another, offered to do his grocery shopping and help him work out. We've lent emotional and financial support, contributed to crowd funding efforts, passed the hat, Amazon-ed stuff to folks in need here.

Wake up and smell the Prime, Daniel.
:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

It seems more evangelicals are maybe spending Sundays at home. Conflicting data

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/ ... content=57
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

How Do You Spend Your Sundays Now?

Locked in an eternal struggle over whether to read the scriptures or surf the internet.

The guy on my right shoulder dressed in white says to read the scriptures. The guy dressed in red on my other shoulder says I should read the posts on the Mormon D&D board to find out what latest pronouncements Smac and Scott Lloyd have made.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

DanP tells us that he teaches GD class on Sundays. I understand the course this year is the Old Testament. Many of his class might not be aware of the challenges to the historicity of the Exodus and Conquest stories by archaeologist Israel Finkelstein in The Bible Unearthed. Of course there has to be a historical Abraham or there would be no Book of Abraham written by his own hand. Even evangelical scholar Peter Enns argues that 'archaeology and the biblical story don't line up very well at all". How much intellectual honesty does he show or allow to be shown in his class.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"