'transparent, honest and faithful????? history of the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Re: 'transparent, honest and faithful’ history of the Church

Post by _oliblish »

Transparent - I take this to mean that they will not hide things. This is good.
Honest - This indicates they won't lie about things. This is also good.
Faithful - This means that they will hide things or lie about things that are not faith promoting. It overrides the first two.

If the truth was faith promoting then it would go without saying that a transparent and honest history would be faith promoting as well. As John Larson pointed out - Watch out when people say things that should go without saying.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Exiled wrote:So, when will they really be "transparent and honest" and admit to everyone that Joseph Smith made it all up?

The church will come clean when it is forced to. After the church is sued the legal entanglements will suffocate the leadership and there will be a restructuring of the religion altogether. The leadership of the church will have to find a way to convert the Corporation into a bonafide church and real transparency will be introduced to Mormonism for the first time.

The New Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will have to come to terms on how they will move forward and allow the membership a voice.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

oliblish wrote:Transparent - I take this to mean that they will not hide things. This is good.
Honest - This indicates they won't lie about things. This is also good.
Faithful - This means that they will hide things or lie about things that are not faith promoting. It overrides the first two.

If the truth was faith promoting then it would go without saying that a transparent and honest history would be faith promoting as well. As John Larson pointed out - Watch out when people say things that should go without saying.

It's become clear to me that Mormonism has run its course. It had its fun under the sun and its heyday was under Hinckley's reign. But the good ole days are over. The church is under siege from all directions and cannot continue its current course in today's world. Real change is coming. The church as we know it is going down. The good ship Mormonism is really sinking. It's taking in water fast. It's getting its just rewards for the kind of life it lived. Live by the sword and die by the sword. The church is reaping what it sowed.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I think it's ironic that the push for the olympics and the Romney campaign that made up, in part, the "Mormon moment" will ultimately prove the church's undoing. Shining a light on the church probably was not the thing to do in the age of the internet and it should be chalked up as yet another failure of the so called "prophets, seers, and revelators."
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I didn't realize they had four chapters of it out. So far it sucks. https://lds.org/languages/eng/content/h ... k-in-faith

I'm not sure "transparent"? Not looking like it to me. "honest"? hmm..sure to some extent. "faithful"? Well depends on what definition of faithful we're using.