Josephs Inspired Bible Translation was actually a plagiarism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: Josephs Inspired Bible Translation was actually a plagia

Post by _Craig Paxton »

DoubtingThomas wrote:So predictable. It is very easy to rationalize and defend anything.

Especially when you start with your conclusion and bend all conflicting evidence till it supports that preformed conclusion
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Having listened to the podcast a couple of take-aways and observations.

When someone properly researched elements of the back story of the Church put out by the Church, it always fails such scrutiny.

There is an inbuilt fear mechanism within the membership that stops people being honest with their views and questions. That mechanism of control through fear is driven both informally (fellow members disapproval and shunning) and formally (you’re not getting your degree).

The leadership of the Church are sat on their hands, refusing to take the n cessation action to remove the dishonesty from the taught narrative.

As an aside - I think Bill falls into leading the witness a little too much - on occasion the question felt like a speech. More pronounced towards the end of the podcast than the beginning and may have been driven by time pressures, but I got the strong impression Bill had specific conclusions he wanted Hayley to reach.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Craig Paxton wrote:Arggg I broke one of my personal rules and started to read through the MD&D thread on this same subject and now I’m regretting that decision. I honestly want to punch one of those TBM posters in the face. OM Freaking god, Smith plagiarized and yet they are completely ok with it. They’re apologizing it all away much like the fraudulent Book of Abraham saying he used the biblical commentary like he did the papyrus as a catalyst for revelation. God damit, no he didn’t he ____ plagiarized. Why is everything so ____ squishy and pliable in Mormonism? God I absolutely hate that ____ board.

PS to add: Stem posted this link from a blog, very interesting. Smith unknowingly “cough cough” translated Mathew 26 of the JST twice...the differences between the two so called inspired translations is stark and telling. Just more evidence he made the whole thing up.

Link : https://thoughtsonthingsandstuff.com/tw ... scripture/

I felt a sting of sadness when reading this. I've never been able to get them all up in arms quite like you did. Wish you could still post over there. I know it's probably better for you this way.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

moksha wrote:Imagine what Joseph could have accomplished if he had Google at his disposal. He could have incorporated wisdom from the Vedas, the sutras of Buddha, the Poetic Edda, and the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám.

The thought helps after the sadness I felt from reading Craig's post. Fewf!
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Craig Paxton wrote:I honestly want to punch one of those TBM posters in the face. Why is everything so ____ squishy and pliable in Mormonism? God I absolutely hate that ____ board.

Actually, I find the acceptance shown by MD&D, in Joseph's use of outside religious scholarship, to be rather Christ-like. Mercy and forbearance is where it is at. Much better welcome with open arms than to deny with closed ears.

So much better in fact, that it might be a good time for that board to reexamine the diligent work Joseph put into the Kinderhook Plates. Even though it ended up being an unfinished work, Joseph's productivity, enthusiasm, and creative are worthy of that same spirit of acceptance rather than denial.

Joseph was doing what he did best: He was adding new and novel material to his faith tradition and the tradition was enriched by these additions. Just think what Joseph could have added with Martin Luther Kings' I Have a Dream speech, the Serenity Prayer, and the Desiderata. Many excellent Sacrament talks could have resulted from these inclusions.

Goeth placidly amid thy noise and haste,
and remembereth what peace there may beeth in silence.
As far as possible without surrender
beeth on good terms with all persons.
Speaketh your truth quietly and clearly;
and listeneth to others,
even thy lesser brethren and women
they too have their story.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace