Things members do rather than listen during Church...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_2bizE
_Emeritus

Re: Things members do rather than listen during Church...

Post by _2bizE »

Another example of the church not relating to the changing times. The church should be installing charging ports in the pews not getting rid of WiFi access.
~ 2BizE
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

When I was young and in church the boredom was intolerable and misbehavior was a grievous sin..

Pre-internet, at least I had a younger brother who, when bored, 'doodled' during church. He is now a very accomplished artist. Back then, I would try every Sunday to end up sitting next to him, due to his habit of creating tiny, exquisite pieces of random art on little scraps and bits of whatever he could find, and then casually handing them off to whoever was sitting near him. My scriptures were full of bits of fantastical artwork that I treasured far more than any written word contained therein, and watching him work was considerably more satisfying and restorative than any Sacrament Mtg talk.

Luckily, one can look very reverent, pious even, while watching an artist work so my access never got blocked. Members relying on electronic distractions should be so lucky.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Lemmie wrote:When I was young and in church the boredom was intolerable and misbehavior was a grievous sin..

Pre-internet, at least I had a younger brother who, when bored, 'doodled' during church. He is now a very accomplished artist. Back then, I would try every Sunday to end up sitting next to him, due to his habit of creating tiny, exquisite pieces of random art on little scraps and bits of whatever he could find, and then casually handing them off to whoever was sitting near him. My scriptures were full of bits of fantastical artwork that I treasured far more than any written word contained therein, and watching him work was considerably more satisfying and restorative than any Sacrament Mtg talk.

Luckily, one can look very reverent, pious even, while watching an artist work so my access never got blocked. Members relying on electronic distractions should be so lucky.

Great story, Lemmie. Thanks for sharing this.

Has the artist moved on, or does he yet find 'artistic inspiration' in church?
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

DrW wrote:Great story, Lemmie. Thanks for sharing this.

Has the artist moved on, or does he yet find 'artistic inspiration' in church?

You're welcome! His inspiration has been found outside of the church for several decades now.