Mormon Church loses 9 year battle over tax exemption

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Mormon Church loses 9 year battle over tax exemption

Post by _I have a question »

Re published from 2014
European judges have rejected the Mormon Church’s human rights complaint against the British Government, forcing it to pay local property taxes on one of its English temples after a nine year court battle.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, a religious organisation registered as a private unlimited company in the UK, was told in 2005 that it was not exempt from paying business tax on its temple in Preston, Lancashire.
Because the public were not allowed access to the temple, which was reserved for the most devout Mormons, the High Court dismissed their appeal in July 2008.
However, the church refused to accept the decision, claiming that it amounted to discrimination on religious grounds and taking their battle all the way to Strasbourg.
Now the European Court of Human Rights has upheld the ruling of the British courts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religi ... udges.html

Why couldn’t God have told the Church they were going to lose before they spent 9 years and millions of Euro on legal fees?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Church loses 9 year battle over tax exemption

Post by _Shulem »

Mormon god doesn't have a choice. He lost. The government mandates the rule of law not the church. Governments are in charge not the church.

Disobey the government and pay a price.

_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Post by _NorthboundZax »

Therefore temple, which is not open to the public, does not attract the full exemption, but does benefit from an 80% reduction in rates in view of its use for charitable purposes.

This was a claim of religious persecution over only getting an 80% exemption? And what charitable purposes could they even be referring to?
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

NorthboundZax wrote:
Therefore temple, which is not open to the public, does not attract the full exemption, but does benefit from an 80% reduction in rates in view of its use for charitable purposes.

This was a claim of religious persecution over only getting an 80% exemption? And what charitable purposes could they even be referring to?

Well that is pretty obvious now isn't it. The Mormon church prides itself on wasting spending the most money of any Christian religion helping out dead people. The deduction of 20% is probably figured on what value an actual living body adds in calculating charity work.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I have a question wrote:Why couldn’t God have told the Church they were going to lose before they spent 9 years and millions of Euro on legal fees?

It just continuously blows me away how enough tithe paying Mormons aren't asking these questions.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
I have a question wrote:Why couldn’t God have told the Church they were going to lose before they spent 9 years and millions of Euro on legal fees?

It just continuously blows me away how enough tithe paying Mormons aren't asking these questions.

- Doc

What would be really mind blowing is had the church won their case the members would boast about how the Lord was fighting their battles and that the Lord's will oversaw justice. You can be sure that those idiot minded Mormons would have pawned it off as a modern miracle and proof that the church is true and led by a prophet of God.

Did I ever tell you how much I hate the Mormon church? Well, I do very much hate the church and its disgusting ways.

Mormons are idiots -- ALL of them. No exceptions.
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Now they have to pay taxes on top of paying for an under used building that is by appointment only? Gee, too bad for Mormon jebus and his henchmen.

I wonder how many other EU Countries will follow suit. After all free American money is never to be overlooked.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins