Puerto Rico Mission President ex?????d for sexual misconduct...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tom
_Emeritus

Re: Puerto Rico Mission President ex’d for sexual misconduct

Post by _Tom »

More odd details from the same letter:

“How many ‘Sister Missionary Trainers’ are there in the mission? There are 5: two live in Rincon, and the other two live in Old San Juan, and me, obviously. I could have ‘lived’ in either house (technically, just left my stuff there), or come here, and I decided (obviously) to come here. I feel like I'm at home! Kinda. Just without you guys. Last night was like my first real Sunday I've had in almost a year, where you just sit at home and don't really do anything. I felt super uncomfortable, like I was neglecting some important task. :) And this morning, at breakfast time, I felt awkward too, cuz none of the food that's here is what I bought, and I felt like I was stealing. :) But whatever. I'm over it. Last night for dinner, we had grilled chicken, and it made me think of Dad's Korean chicken. Good stuff.

Well anyway, I hope I answered all your questions sufficiently. I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do here all day, I'm by myself in a huge house, and I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. NORMAL LIFE IS SO BORING. Hahahaa.”
“A scholar said he could not read the Book of Mormon, so we shouldn’t be shocked that scholars say the papyri don’t translate and/or relate to the Book of Abraham. Doesn’t change anything. It’s ancient and historical.” ~ Hanna Seariac
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

This is going to be more than interesting...in all it's weird details. Can't wait for Consig to get on the trail.

In the posts above...it sounds more like a "kept" woman.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

The question I have is did Smartt’s wife move out of the mission home to go back to the states for tests, before or after he moved the Sister Missionary in?

I’d like to know if his wife was actually ill, and what was the date of his Church Court and excommunication.

A Mission President using a private jet putting fuel costs onto his mission expenses didn’t ring any alarm bells with the senior management of the missionary programme.

The guy was suspected of extra marital affairs whilst a Stake President but was still called by God to serve as a Mission President.

The Church protected this guys image (even keeping his profile up on lds.org) and agreed a cover story blaming his wife’s illness.

This stinks.
I hope Consiglieri gets to the bottom of it, because it sounds like there’s quite a bit more.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I know the Smartts divorced. Did Sister Smartt make a full recovery?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Tom wrote:More odd details from the same letter:

“How many ‘Sister Missionary Trainers’ are there in the mission? There are 5: two live in Rincon, and the other two live in Old San Juan, and me, obviously. I could have ‘lived’ in either house (technically, just left my stuff there), or come here, and I decided (obviously) to come here. I feel like I'm at home! Kinda. Just without you guys. Last night was like my first real Sunday I've had in almost a year, where you just sit at home and don't really do anything. I felt super uncomfortable, like I was neglecting some important task. :) And this morning, at breakfast time, I felt awkward too, cuz none of the food that's here is what I bought, and I felt like I was stealing. :) But whatever. I'm over it. Last night for dinner, we had grilled chicken, and it made me think of Dad's Korean chicken. Good stuff.

Well anyway, I hope I answered all your questions sufficiently. I have NO idea what I'm supposed to do here all day, I'm by myself in a huge house, and I'm waiting for my laundry to finish. NORMAL LIFE IS SO BORING. Hahahaa.”

So she writes this for her parents (and others) to see and no one asks questions? Why would her parents read this and think this is ok?

I like all of IHAQ's questions....

I also wonder which sister missionary it was who finally called SLC?
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I know the Smartts divorced. Did Sister Smartt make a full recovery?

- Doc

I've read that some question if she ever was really diagnosed with MS, but she was apparently having health issues that brought her back to the states for tests towards the end. (Unless that was a cover for her leaving earlier because of what he was doing? That's possible too, I guess.) I guess she thought it may be MS. I haven't read any updates or if she was ever actually diagnosed, but she most likely was (or the leaders just went with what she was suspecting and used it as an excuse to release him). The leaders were so dishonest about this whole thing that they could have lied about any of it, in my opinion.

It would be interesting to have an update on her. This has to got have been rough on her and their young daughters.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Madison54 wrote:It would be interesting to have an update on her. This has to got have been rough on her and their young daughters.

Check out Maggie Smartt on Facebook. Strange there isn't any correlation that I can see with her mom. Maggie is a pretty girl and is not dressed for garments. I wonder if she left the church.
_Madison54
_Emeritus

Post by _Madison54 »

This is interesting to read through and several who knew Smartt post information about him:

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... g_mission/

I've read a few threads over there where those who know him and the family have posted. Sounds like Smart's father (with the same name, but the Sr.), was a real tool too. Apparently he also thought he was on track to become a GA, but that's probably off the table now.

Heather Smartt sounds like she was genuinely a wonderful person and "Lanny" (which is what he went by) has put her through hell.

Also, members of his ward and stake knew he was having affairs but no one would listen to them about it.

Apparently he slept with at least one new convert while serving as a MP as well as fooling around with sister missionaries. Most seem to think he was a true believer, who was into the really extreme doctrines and became convinced he should live polygamy and tried to live it with the sister missionaries.