Question for RFM: Releasing Sealed Records Broke No Laws?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_mcjathan
_Emeritus

Question for RFM: Releasing Sealed Records Broke No Laws?

Post by _mcjathan »

I have a question for RFM and all other attorneys: Were no laws broken by the release of sealed adoption records?

We adopted my oldest son (now 26) through LDS Social Services (LDSSS) when he was two days old. The inviolate nature of the sealed records were pounded into us by LDSSS during the whole process. I find it pretty stunning that McKenna Denson and her biological daughter's privacy were violated as part of a threat / retribution play by the church. Seriously, no laws were broken here?

Jeff
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: Question for RFM: Releasing Sealed Records Broke No Laws

Post by _cinepro »

mcjathan wrote:I have a question for RFM and all other attorneys: Were no laws broken by the release of sealed adoption records?

We adopted my oldest son (now 26) through LDS Social Services (LDSSS) when he was two days old. The inviolate nature of the sealed records were pounded into us by LDSSS during the whole process. I find it pretty stunning that McKenna Denson and her biological daughter's privacy were violated as part of a threat / retribution play by the church. Seriously, no laws were broken here?

Jeff

I'm not consig, but I think the key point is what, exactly, is "sealed." If the Church had access to the information from its own records, then that access might not be "sealed" in the same way government records might be.

A massive breach of trust and confidentiality, to be sure, but probably different than an actual legal "seal."
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

cinepro wrote:
mcjathan wrote:I have a question for RFM and all other attorneys: Were no laws broken by the release of sealed adoption records?

Jeff

I'm not consig, but I think the key point is what, exactly, is "sealed." If the Church had access to the information from its own records, then that access might not be "sealed" in the same way government records might be.

A massive breach of trust and confidentiality, to be sure, but probably different than an actual legal "seal."

It would be interesting to see the confidentiality clauses within the adoption agreement between LDS services and the biological mother. There might be something in there that’s actionable.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

cinepro wrote:I think the key point is what, exactly, is "sealed." If the Church had access to the information from its own records, then that access might not be "sealed" in the same way government records might be.

Pretty sure this matter can be summed up in the words of Juliann from the board which shall not be named, "We are private so we can do anything we like".

There is no need for ethics when you have both the Law of Chastity and nonconsensual immorality.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I took a quick look and found this regulation that applies to "Child Placing Adoption Agencies."

G. All adoption records shall be confidential and shall be maintained in a locked file when not in active use. Adoption records shall be accessible only by authorized agency employees. No information shall be shared with any person without the appropriate consent forms, except as required by law.

https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/code/r5 ... -07.htm#T5
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_oliblish
_Emeritus

Post by _oliblish »

cinepro wrote:

Jeff

They probably just submitted a request for a cancellation of sealing which was promptly approved by the First Presidency. Nothing to see here folks. Move along...
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

oliblish wrote:They probably just submitted a request for a cancellation of sealing which was promptly approved by the First Presidency. Nothing to see here folks. Move along...

The basis for this cancellation of the adoption seal is found in the Book of Ruthless Corporations 1:6
Crusheth thine enemies; seeth them driven before thee and hear the lamentations of their women.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The adopted daughter might have three possible claims that I can see. Invasion of privacy for publishing her private facts; intentional infliction of emotional distress; and breach of contract as the daughter should be considered a third party beneficiary of the confidential adoption agreements.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Here is a rather fun thread on the Mormon D&D board regarding Consiglieri's reporting on this sealed records issue:

http://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/70478-did-mckenna-denson-meet-with-thomas-s-monson-after-mtc/

As this thread progresses beyond page six I am anticipating that Calm and Smac will volunteer to waterboard Consiglieri and the "mole in the BYU police department" until they confess to some unspecified apologetic charge. Perhaps they will expand the number of waterboardees to include McKenna Denison, certain KUTV reporters, and potentially attorney Greg Bishop (although Greg Bishop may counter that he was just acting as an intermediary for an unnamed corporation).

Pretty sure it will be a series of inspired waterboarding sessions, Smac will bring his particular skill set as a lawyer and Calm will bring the know-how of FAIRMormon.