Update on RFM Request for Unredacted BYU Police Reports

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Re: Update on RFM Request for Unredacted BYU Police Reports

Post by _RockSlider »

consiglieri wrote:What do you think?

it stinketh all the way up to the Seventh Heaven.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

It hath the primal eldest curse upon it,
A brother's murder!
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Goldenbrass
_Emeritus

Post by _Goldenbrass »

Thanks Consig, I've been following your podcasts and I'm impressed by the level of your analysis and your ability to ask the right questions. I think asking who is doing this redacting and for what purpose is an important question to ask. There are four different redacted versions like you said,

1. MormonLeaks appears to be the first copy of the Police Report which was obtained on 11th January 2018 but that MormonLeaks did not release until March 31, 2018. So chronologically this is the first one and preceded the other release by two months.
2. The original version released to the media on Tuesday, March 20, 2018, which was almost completely redacted.
3. The second media release version with more information from page 6 Thursday, March 22, 2018.
4. Your version of the police report which I assume came from a request around the same time period.

The MormonLeaks version was requested long before the media caught the story and months before the audio was released. At that point in January it's interesting to see what they deemed worthy of blacking out. The whole of page 6 with the exception of that one phrase is blacked out which is where all the information about the interviews would be including the two incriminating admissions by Bishop.

Also interesting to note is that MormonLeaks claims they added the pink redactions themselves to keep information confidential. If some of those pink areas were unredacted it means they BYU PD released a lot of information that was very personal which makes it even more odd that they held back the accounts of the interviews.

When the media became involved and the audio was released it obviously came to the attention of others and the policy changed to redact everything, the whole report. When the media pushed back against this BYU PD reluctantly released a lot more information, however any mention of attachments or recordings were removed from the report. I think Chris Jones and KUTV have to be commended for their coverage and their refusal to accept that full redaction. The police included Bishop's admission that he asked a sister missionary to show her breasts, but not the admission about the massage why? Do you think that was the result of a mistake?

I'm not sure chronologically where your police report fits Consig, but it does contain more relevant information. Yours is the only released report that mentions the massage of the suicidal Sister Missionary all other reports redacted that part. It's significant and highly incriminating and I'm unsure what reason they could have for redacting it from the report.

Do you think the Church lawyers and Greg Bishop initially responded to BYU Police influencing their decision to redact so much? When media companies threatened them with a legal challenge do you think they then decided to release more, but not all they should have done?

Do you think the comment about asking the sister missionary to expose her breasts was included by mistake?

It's strange that Joseph Bishop would make a point of telling the police department that McKenna was out to expose the Church, it seems like him trying to use his Mormon credentials to influence the investigation.