Runtu's Insights Into The MTC in 1984

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_karl61
_Emeritus

Re: Runtu's Insights Into The MTC in 1984

Post by _karl61 »

Thank you for the support and kind thoughts.
I want to fly!
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Jonah and Karl, I cannot imagine your pain. The church is so broken and wrong on so many levels, causing lifetime damage to so many.

Jesus surely is at the head and well pleased. Or is that Satan?
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

candygal wrote:In the judgement of these people in a mortal world..free agency is obsolete; and in fact, a sad a sorry joke when condemned for not making the ONLY choice.

Indeed you are right, candygal.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Goldenbrass
_Emeritus

Post by _Goldenbrass »

Meadowchik wrote:Except that Mormonism is already deeply enmeshed in judging people for their choices and Jeffrey has long been complicit.

Exactly, Holland isn't taking issue with the tactic he's just taking issue with how it is being used in this context, in the "right" context he has no problem with shaming members who aren't obedient to the Church leaders' dictates.
_Goldenbrass
_Emeritus

Post by _Goldenbrass »

Jonah wrote:Well...this is a little something I put together a few months ago and have been sitting on. It is raw, and I haven't yet decided to proceed any further. But if I do, it just might be the opening few minutes (introduction) of my project.

https://vimeo.com/265904125

password - jonah

I like the music and the way that the text is similar to the white on black name tags that missionaries wear on their missions. I could definitely see it in the first few minutes an introduction to your documentary. Thanks for posting the link Jonah.
_Goldenbrass
_Emeritus

Post by _Goldenbrass »

Karl, that must have been such a difficult position to be placed in and you should never have been put in it. Living mission rules is hard enough on a mission, the idea that you would be expected to live them at home is ridiculous especially given everything else you were dealing with. I agree with you that many missionaries don't have any issues, but when I hear the stories of people that do it reminds me that the Church's indoctrination program comes at a very high cost for too many young people. Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope you've found some healing from the experience in the years that have passed.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Runtu's book might be my favorite LDS related book. I am not lying when I say this...before this thread was made (several days prior), I handed my daughter Runtu's book. She was asking questions about Mormonism and missionaries and I told her I have a great book for her.

If you haven't read Runtu's book then you're missing out. I would love to read the rest of his story and get updates on many of the people in Runtu's book.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong