Tithing Ends Poverty, and other bizarre prophetic statements

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Re: Tithing Ends Poverty, and other bizarre prophetic statem

Post by _Shulem »

I testify out of love to my African brethren that I was in favor of blacks getting the priesthood in 1978. But prior to that time it was the will of the Lord that blacks not have the priesthood until a revelation was given to the President of the Church and the policy and doctrine of racial discrimination for the priesthood be discontinued and reversed.

President Nelson wrote:My message to the African saints is simple. Pay your tithing and prosper. Failure to pay is akin to robbing the Lord and you shall not prosper but remain in poverty.

_KevinSim
_Emeritus

Post by _KevinSim »

Gadianton wrote:Only a walking pile of dirt would tell a nation of poor people that they've been poor for generations because they haven't paid tithing. Especially when the speaker knows it's false, and doesn't believe what he's saying the least little bit.

Gadianton, how in the world do you know what Russell Nelson actually believes?

I've got a kind of cynical attitude toward tithing. As long as I pay tithing I realize if anything bad in my life happens, I have the LDS Church to fall back on. So I've paid tithing my whole life, and intend to pay it the rest of my life.

I've been on disability for almost a year now. My wife works, but the company she works for is having a hard time staying financially afloat. If she loses her job next Fall, for a little while we're going to have to support her, me, and my grandson on just my disability payments. But she agrees with me that we'll have to pay our tithing even if we're just living on my disability payments. It's simply something we do.
KevinSim

Reverence the eternal.
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

It makes sense. Just look at Donald Trump. He's a good christian conservative, and he's rich. Most Mormons I know love him. He obviously pays tithing to the LDS church. How else could he get so rich? Be like Trump, pay tithing, and prosper.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

It's not a matter of knowledge, it's my opinion.

However, my grounds for believing it are at least as valid, if not substantially more valid, than Nelson believing Africans have been poor up until the opportunity to pay tithing. Also, the degree to which I represent my beliefs as fact is substantially less than the degree to which Nelson represents his alleged beliefs about prosperity and tithing as fact -- the law you are cynical about is a matter of revealed seership from your prophet, per him.

Maybe you should be asking him how he knows that this destitute country of hundreds of millions will pull out of poverty if they pay 10% to his corporation, especially since my opinions have no bearing whatsoever on your life while his constitute the rule of law for your life.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

KevinSim wrote:
Gadianton wrote:Only a walking pile of dirt would tell a nation of poor people that they've been poor for generations because they haven't paid tithing. Especially when the speaker knows it's false, and doesn't believe what he's saying the least little bit.

I've got a kind of cynical attitude toward tithing. As long as I pay tithing I realize if anything bad in my life happens, I have the LDS Church to fall back on. So I've paid tithing my whole life, and intend to pay it the rest of my life.

I've been on disability for almost a year now. My wife works, but the company she works for is having a hard time staying financially afloat. If she loses her job next Fall, for a little while we're going to have to support her, me, and my grandson on just my disability payments. But she agrees with me that we'll have to pay our tithing even if we're just living on my disability payments. It's simply something we do.

How do you know you'll be able to depend on the church? If one day you decide that you need the church's help, your bishop may or may not agree with you. All that tithing, and how it is used, and who benefits from church welfare is not within your control.

My parents have paid hundreds and thousands in tithing. My dad retired years ago but has come out of retirement to work again so that they can help some of my siblings in need. This is an honorable venture, but giving money to the church isn't necessarily honorable, and certainly not necessarily helpful to anyone. It might be more efficacious if kept in a savings or trust so that my aging parents could turn to it and have greater peace of mind as they approach the end of their lives.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

The whole thing is especially ironic given that before 1978 these people wouldn't have been eligible for the priesthood, had no missionaries, not wanted for baptism, but hey "pay that tithe" it will break you out of poverty.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Maybe the church should contribute 10% of its gross income to this board? I prophesy that by doing so, the church will obtain exponential growth and fill the earth as the stone cut without hands.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Why can't God just provide his church with some invention or other means to generate the income necessary to run his church? This way, the believing population wouldn't be subject to parasitic tithing and maybe the believing poor would have a little more to eat? One may say that giving something to the people for free might create sloth, but, then aren't the leaders living off of the tithing? Aren't they the slothful ones then? Supposedly God created the universe for us for free, so why not ask him to give us the means to avoid the church tax?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Mormonicious
_Emeritus

Post by _Mormonicious »

Exiled wrote:Why can't God just provide his church with some invention or other means to generate the income necessary to run his church? This way, the believing population wouldn't be subject to parasitic tithing and maybe the believing poor would have a little more to eat? One may say that giving something to the people for free might create sloth, but, then aren't the leaders living off of the tithing? Aren't they the slothful ones then? Supposedly God created the universe for us for free, so why not ask him to give us the means to avoid the church tax?

Mormon jesus did, its call Tithing, silly Exiled.
Revelation 2:17 . . give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. Thank Google GOD for her son eBay, you can now have life eternal with laser engraving. . oh, and a seer stone and save 10% of your life's earning as a bonus. See you in Mormon man god Heaven Bitches!!. Bring on the Virgins