Stupid video reminds me of Mormon scholars

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Stupid video reminds me of Mormon scholars

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

"DEBATED: 9/11 vs. Intelligent Design"
https://youtu.be/9IYvtvBCXVY?t=3m29s

Crazy conspiracy theories and Intelligent Design have a lot in common. The video points a list of experts believing in Intelligent Design and another list of experts believing in 9/11. Having a PhD doesn't guarantee you aren't crazy.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Stupid video reminds me of Mormon scholars

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas wrote:The video points a list of experts believing in Intelligent Design and another list of experts believing in 9/11.

You don't believe in 9/11? There's a lot of evidence it happened.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:You don't believe in 9/11? There's a lot of evidence it happened.

Let's make it a Mormon topic and talk about Mountain Meadows.
_Physics Guy
_Emeritus

Post by _Physics Guy »

I think Intelligent Design is a misguided idea but it's not wacko like the 9/11 "Truther" movement. The similarity I see is in the reliance on arguments from poverty of imagination (or from plain ignorance). Somebody doesn't understand how something could have happened, so they declare that it could not possibly have happened.

At some point it may become reasonable to guess that something's impossible if you really can't conceive how it could happen. The problem with both ID and Trutherism is that some of the people involved are smart enough to understand how something wasn't impossible at all—if they would ever bother to think seriously about the possibilities, rather than just jumping to the conclusion they want to reach.

Willful blindness is depressing to see even when it's humble. It's disgusting when it's smug.