"A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership" excerpt

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

"A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership" excerpt

Post by _AmyJo »

It could as easily describe cult founder/leader Joseph Smith, Jr. as he fomented a plan to disseminate falsehoods and lies, then perpetuate them in the name of everything holy.

"'I've seen many times over the years how liars get so good at lying, they lose the ability to distinguish between what's true and what's not,' [Comey] writes.

And he includes this warning for America:

"We are experiencing a dangerous time in our country, with a political environment where basic facts are disputed, fundamental truth is questioned, lying is normalized and unethical behavior is ignored, excused or rewarded.""

At what point did Joseph Smith come to believe his own lies and deception?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... ty-n865651
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: "A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership" excerpt

Post by _Meadowchik »

King Follett is interesting, in the beginning he basically says, "Don't kill me if I'm wrong," then "If I'm right, then promise to never speak against me." To me, it exposes the kind of negotiating he's doing in his brain and his audience.
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Aside from Joseph Smith, I find it extremely hypocritical of Comey to criticize anyone after exonerating Clinton BEFORE he conducted his bogus “investigation” of her. She deleted over 33,000 SUBPOENAED emails and had those hard drives destroyed. That is a felony, and he covered her ass because he though she was going to win and he wanted to keep his job. He deserved to be fired.

But in his mind, he is an upstanding man of impeccable integrity and honor, even though he was highly compromised on a number of issues not related to the 2016 election. Many Dems, the Republicans and FBI career agents hate the guy, and I predict his book will be short-lived like the Wolf book because people will see his bitter and prideful revenge in it’s pages - blaming everyone else for his downfall - just like Hillary is doing.

In this regard, I can see the similarity with Joseph Smith. They cannot/could not see or admit their own failings and hypocracy. Too much pride, self-deception, and too much power over others ....
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

GameOver wrote:Aside from Joseph Smith, I find it extremely hypocritical of Comey to criticize anyone after exonerating Clinton BEFORE he conducted his bogus “investigation” of her. She deleted over 33,000 SUBPOENAED emails and had those hard drives destroyed. That is a felony, and he covered her ass because he though she was going to win and he wanted to keep his job. He deserved to be fired.

But in his mind, he is an upstanding man of impeccable integrity and honor, even though he was highly compromised on a number of issues not related to the 2016 election. Many Democrats, the Republicans and FBI career agents hate the guy, and I predict his book will be short-lived like the Wolf book because people will see his bitter and prideful revenge in it’s pages - blaming everyone else for his downfall - just like Hillary is doing.

In this regard, I can see the similarity with Joseph Smith. They cannot/could not see or admit their own failings and hypocrisy. Too much pride, self-deception, and too much power over others ....

This...I so agree with everything you say here. I still can't figure out how Clinton gets out of this...Comey has no friends on either side of aisle.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

Comey followed the views of Theologian Reinold Niebuhr who said " God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60228864 ... ames-comey
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

GameOver wrote:Aside from Joseph Smith, I find it extremely hypocritical of Comey to criticize anyone after exonerating Clinton BEFORE he conducted his bogus “investigation” of her. She deleted over 33,000 SUBPOENAED emails and had those hard drives destroyed. That is a felony, and he covered her ass because he though she was going to win and he wanted to keep his job.

Interesting piece of MAGA fan fiction you’ve come up with there. Although I suspect you may be plagiarizing someone else’s original creation. Hannity perhaps?
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

krose wrote:
GameOver wrote:Aside from Joseph Smith, I find it extremely hypocritical of Comey to criticize anyone after exonerating Clinton BEFORE he conducted his bogus “investigation” of her. She deleted over 33,000 SUBPOENAED emails and had those hard drives destroyed. That is a felony, and he covered her ass because he though she was going to win and he wanted to keep his job.

Interesting piece of MAGA fan fiction you’ve come up with there. Although I suspect you may be plagiarizing someone else’s original creation. Hannity perhaps?

Maybe you should study up on the issues related to Comey’s conduct. They have nothing to do with Hannity or Trump’s MAGA. And when you do that further study, you should be able to see the serious flaws in the decisions he’s made as the head of the FBI, and that he’s making today. You don’t appear to know the extent of the issues.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Ah! “...study up...” “...issues...” I see.

I wonder where one might turn to become so knowledgeable about ‘issues’? Maybe the totally legit, not-at-all-fraudulent Trump University taught all about felonies and how a subpoena works. Or how publicly smearing someone in a grandstanding press conference that breaks DoJ rules is actually ‘exoneration.’
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Aside from Joseph Smith, I find it extremely hypocritical of Comey to criticize anyone after exonerating Clinton BEFORE he conducted his bogus “investigation” of her. She deleted over 33,000 SUBPOENAED emails and had those hard drives destroyed. That is a felony, and he covered her ass because he though she was going to win and he wanted to keep his job. He deserved to be fired.

Comey's thinking that Hillary Clinton was going to win wasn't in regards to "exonerating" Hillary and/or "covering her ass", it was instead in regards to him reopening the E-Mail investigation about ten days before the election.

From AP/CBS Fact Check:

THE FACTS: Mr. Trump's claim seems to defy logic. If Comey were angling for a job in an anticipated Hillary Clinton administration, disclosing a renewed FBI investigation into her email practices right before the 2016 election wouldn't be the way to do it.

Mr. Trump appears to be referring to a passage in Comey's new book, "A Higher Loyalty," revealing that he had "assumed from media polling that Hillary Clinton was going to win." Comey writes that he has since wondered whether his decision to disclose the reopened probe was affected by a concern that "concealing" it as Clinton appeared to hold a poll lead would make her an "illegitimate president."

Comey disclosed the email investigation had been reopened on Oct. 28, 2016, after the FBI discovered an additional batch of emails tied to the case on a laptop belonging to former Rep. Anthony Weiner, whose wife at the time was top Clinton aide Huma Abedin. Clinton and fellow Democrats were livid.

See Also: The Comey Letter Probably Cost Clinton The Election
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_GameOver
_Emeritus

Post by _GameOver »

Comey drafted Hillary's exoneration in May, 2016, BEFORE he interviewed her and 16 others in the FBI "investigation", which interviews subsequently occurred in July, 2016. She was not placed under oath, she couldn't remember/recall anything around 48 times in her 3-hour interview, immunity deals were given to the others, and all of their computers which they were required to turn in to the FBI - were then destroyed by the FBI.

"COMEY DRAFTED STATEMENT ENDING CLINTON EMAIL INVESTIGATION MONTHS BEFORE INTERVIEWING HER, FBI CONFIRMS"

http://www.newsweek.com/james-comey-fbi-clinton-emails-drafted-statement-686140

An excellent article regarding this entire "collusion" mess can be read below. It's a LONG read, but well worth the time it takes to read it.

"THE REAL COLLUSION STORY"

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/03/russia-collusion-real-story-hillary-clinton-dnc-fbi-media/

Beyond this, I'm not going to debate politics. It's like arguing about Mormonism with believers / non-believers. Everyone has their own level of knowledge and understanding, biases and beliefs.