Did Cook claim to have seen Jesus?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Did Cook claim to have seen Jesus?

Post by _candygal »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:If I were a prophet or an apostle I'd straight claim I talked to Jesus like a man would talk to another man. I'd make my voice of quivery like they do. I'd sing song my testimony, smack my lips, give dramatic pauses, and then turn on the water works.

People would LOVE that. I don't know why they don't say they've had that experience. They lie about virtually everything else, so why not this? Members want, nay, they NEED to feel like their leaders are passing worthiness interviews with Jesus.

They're kind of dumb for passing on this opportunity.

- Doc

Yeah...I agree..you and I could be so much more convincing...! I have heard people in testimony meeting that could really pull this off.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

I seem to recall somebody doing a podcast about this very subject a year ago . . .

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... een-jesus/
You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

consiglieri wrote:I seem to recall somebody doing a podcast about this very subject a year ago . . .

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... een-jesus/

It was another great podcast that I highly recommend. Anyway, this is kind of a sensitive subject to me because I actually believed that these idiots had each seen JC. But the more I thought about it, the more enraged I became (during my anger phase). I mean, why would JC think it would be soooo important to be felt up by 2500 nephites as Joe claims happened in 3 Nephi? Not only is that impossible to have occurred in the timeframe claimed, but it is kind of creepy and maybe subconsciously feeds the Bishop like predators.

This is the guy that they supposedly saw?
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

In conclusion, please be assured that senior Church leaders who preside over the divinely appointed purposes of the Church receive divine assistance. This guidance comes from the Spirit and sometimes directly from the Savior.

Rich people don’t need to tell you they are rich.
Honest people don’t need to tell you they are honest.
Divinely inspired people don’t need to constantly tell you they are divinely inspired.

This from the man who took the Marin General Hospital private into a shell corporation that he himself created and then who jumped ship into that shell corporation. “Trust me I speak to Jesus”? I don’t think so Elder Crook.

https://exploringmormonism.com/quenton- ... and-fraud/
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

I would love to see a modern day general authority stand in general conference and make concrete statements, like Joseph Smith did, instead of this coded language that leaves plausible deniability. I used to think the big 15 don't really coordinate with each other on how to keep the fraud going forward, and instead it's more of an Emperor's New Clothes thing, where they all play along like it's real. But statements like Cook's makes me wonder if there isn't more coordination. I can imagine someone like Oaks in a meeting saying, "Look guys, we can't come right out and say we talk directly with Jesus. We need to leave that impression with the faithful while giving ourselves plausible deniability if questioned by the media."
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

I have a question wrote:
In conclusion, please be assured that senior Church leaders who preside over the divinely appointed purposes of the Church receive divine assistance. This guidance comes from the Spirit and sometimes directly from the Savior. Both kinds of spiritual guidance are given. I am grateful to have received such assistance.

https://www.LDS.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng

Seems like he’s claiming to have communicated directly with Jesus.

If so say so. Don't obfuscate and dance around it like they all do. This so members can thing "ooooo yea they have seen him..."

assholes.

One thing you can say about J Smith. He didn't mince words on this.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

consiglieri wrote:I think we should give credit to Elder Cook for this new embroidery of an old theme--yet another way to suggest he has seen Jesus while leaving plausible deniability of the same.

This is so much better than the steady and penetrating look into the camera coupled with the wavering voice claiming, "I not only know the Savior lives, I know the Savior."

Because ya know, guidance coming directly from the Savior doesn't mean you actually see Jesus.

And Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery were "senior leaders," and like, hello, they really did see Jesus.

I love you Consig! :smile:
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »