Please Educate me on "blood from every pore"!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

Please Educate me on "blood from every pore"!

Post by _kairos »

duplicate

thanx
k
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Re: Please Educate me on "blood from every poor"!

Post by _cinepro »

Modern LDS Scriptures contain additional clarifcation on Jesus bleeding from every pore. It's in the Doctrine and Covenants. LDS would consider this Jesus speaking directly to Joseph Smith; it's even in the first person:

18 Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... ang=eng#17

For more information, this talk is probably considered official enough:

The Atonement

There in the garden bearing the Hebrew name of Gethsemane—meaning “oil-press”—olives had been beaten and pressed to provide oil and food. There at Gethsemane, the Lord “suffered the pain of all men, that all … might repent and come unto him.”33 He took upon Himself the weight of the sins of all mankind, bearing its massive load that caused Him to bleed from every pore.34

Interestingly, Elder Nelson (now President Nelson) is a world-renowned doctor, so he includes some comments from a "medical" angle. But it also includes some folk-doctrines that more enlightened modern Mormons eschew (such as the idea that Adam and Eve had no blood in their bodies until after the Fall).
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Please Educate me on "blood from every pore"!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Seems like "bleeding from every pore" is part of the myth surrounding jesus. In my mind, it doesn't matter whether it is total myth or myth surrounding a real person. These parts are myth just the same.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

It seems to be hyperbole thrown in by a storyteller unfamiliar with what it would take to actually bleed from every pore. A writer from the latter 20th Century might say instead, "Jesus experienced great angst while in the Garden of Gethsemane."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_reflexzero
_Emeritus

Post by _reflexzero »

So maybe instead of kissing Jesus to identify him, Judas should have just said: “it’s the guy covered in blood.”
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Only his 'left' arm bled from every pore.
D&C 29: 1
1 Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;

Luke 22: 44
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

If he were bleeding all over his body the drops would get soaked up in his clothes. He calls that arm his 'holy arm'

Ps. 98: 1
1 O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
Isa. 52: 10
10 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
Mosiah 12: 24
24 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God?
Mosiah 15: 31
31 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
3 Ne. 16: 20
20 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of God.
D&C 109: 22
22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them;
D&C 133: 3
3 For he shall make bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of their God.

It says his 'right hand' AND his holy arm.......his left arm obviously. And another reason it is the left is because that is where a broken heart is felt more intensely.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

It’s an analogy used by the author to express how much Jesus was sweating.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Nightlion wrote:Only his 'left' arm bled from every pore.
D&C 29: 1
1 Listen to the voice of Jesus Christ, your Redeemer, the Great I Am, whose arm of mercy hath atoned for your sins;

Luke 22: 44
44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.

If he were bleeding all over his body the drops would get soaked up in his clothes. He calls that arm his 'holy arm'

Ps. 98: 1
1 O sing unto the Lord a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
Isa. 52: 10
10 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
Mosiah 12: 24
24 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God?
Mosiah 15: 31
31 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.
3 Ne. 16: 20
20 The Lord hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of God.
D&C 109: 22
22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy name may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine angels have charge over them;
D&C 133: 3
3 For he shall make bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of their God.

It says his 'right hand' AND his holy arm.......his left arm obviously. And another reason it is the left is because that is where a broken heart is felt more intensely.

That's the stupidest bloody thing I've ever heard.

What a twit. Get back in your hole, false prophet. No body believes a word you say.