Wild Wild Country

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Tim
_Emeritus

Wild Wild Country

Post by _Tim »

Netflix has a documentary called Wild Wild Country. This has got to be the closest modern approximation of what it was like for local communities in Missouri and Illinois when the Mormons set up Far West and Nauvoo.

A large group of devoted believers follow a charismatic leader into the wilderness. Tensions with locals soon escalate because of the groups foreign religious practices and sexual ethic. Efforts are taken to reshape and control the local politics in order to protect or expel the religious group. Eventually violence breaks out.

There is cursing throughout the series and in episode 2 & 3 there is about 45 total seconds of animalistic nudity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBLS_OM6Puk
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Wild Wild Country

Post by _candygal »

Wow...why does this sound all too familiar. I love Neflix so thanks for headsup!!
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Recommended.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

As long as we are in the recommending documentary on Netflix theme, I strongly recommend

The Wrecking Crew

It is about a group of about 20-30 musicians who pretty much did all the actual instrumental music on records porduced in Los Angeles in the 60s-70s. So if you are a fan of the Beach Boys, The Mamas & Papas, Frank Sinatra, Sony & Cher, The 5th Dimension, The Monkeys, and many many more, this is a documentary not to be missed.

The best line from the show is a group member of a famous band listening to these guys play his parts in the recorded version of a song and then telling them "You know I can't play it like that, right?"

Great show.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Fence Sitter wrote:As long as we are in the recommending documentary on Netflix theme, I strongly recommend

The Wrecking Crew

It is about a group of about 20-30 musicians who pretty much did all the actual instrumental music on records porduced in Los Angeles in the 60s-70s. So if you are a fan of the Beach Boys, The Mamas & Papas, Frank Sinatra, Sony & Cher, The 5th Dimension, The Monkeys, and many many more, this is a documentary not to be missed.

The best line from the show is a group member of a famous band listening to these guys play his parts in the recorded version of a song and then telling them "You know I can't play it like that, right?"

Great show.

Thank you...this is my cup of tea!!!
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Ahh! The Rajneeshee! Not one of our finer moments. We still don't wear red outfits in Central Oregon.

I recently was up in Antelope checking out The Wildhorse Resort facilities to see if it would work for a leadership camp we were planning. It's still surprisingly creepy just knowing what had happened there.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I just watched the first two episodes of Wild, Wild Country and highly recommend it. The parallels to early Mormonism are striking.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

For those who ever flew the freak flag, The Source Family is quite a hoot. Father Yod's apotheosis oh so poetic.

http://www.tampabay.com/documentaries-a ... ry-netflix
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov