John Dehlin has tip on MTC doctor's sex crimes!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_kairos
_Emeritus

John Dehlin has tip on MTC doctor's sex crimes!

Post by _kairos »

http://www.mormonstories.org/a-second-m ... d-sampson/

From RFM, Dehlin has been given a tip on Dr Sampson ,ex bishop and MTC doctor is/was in jail on sex abuse charges.

FYi

k
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Re: John Dehlin has tip on MTC doctor's sex crimes!

Post by _Craig Paxton »

kairos wrote:http://www.mormonstories.org/a-second-mtc-abuser-bishop-and-dr-richard-sampson/

From RFM, Dehlin has been given a tip on Dr Sampson ,ex bishop and MTC doctor is/was in jail on sex abuse charges.

FYi

k

I'm of the view that John Dehlin is jumping the shark on this by framing this as another institutional sex scandal cover up. I just don't see this in the data points. Yes this man is a convicted child molester, yes he was the MTC doctor, yes he was a former bishop. But each of these facts combined do not make for any cover up.

While I would love to beat up the church for this and other scandals just as much as the next critic, we need to also accept that the church is not all powerful nor all knowing. People, including Mormon's, often do despicable, disgusting things while projecting an outside persona of being something else. People are duplicitous and are often live dual secret lives, unknown even to their own spouses and families. This MTC doctor obviously was one of these individuals. He seems to have had a secret, hidden flaw which he itched by molesting children. But once the church became aware of it they excommunicated him and he now sits in a prison cell.

Again I would love to jump on the burn it down band wagon, but I also do not believe that we can pin every single so called sin perpetrated by believers back on the church. The church is a collective of individual believers. What we can do however is hold the church responsible for what they are culpable in...creating a culture where human perfection is the expectation, human flaws are to be swept under the carpet and kept from public view, where this unrealistic church image is promoted so that those who are part of the church feel a need to meet the cultural expectations of perfection despite knowing that they will never meet it. Publically they project perfection while keeping their true imperfect selves lives hidden from everyone but themselves.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

From Dehlin's website.

Mormon Stories Podcast has just received a tip about another Mormon sex abuser (in addition to Joseph Bishop) who is also a former Mormon bishop, and who is also associated with the Provo, Utah Missionary Training Center. His name is Dr. Richard B. Sampson.

According to the tip we have received:

Richard Sampson is reported to have served as bishop in the Provo Peak 7th Ward from 2005-2010 (if anyone has information on Bishop Sampson’s service as Mormon Bishop, or any known instances of abuse, please email mormonstories@gmail.com).
The convictions against Mormon MTC Dr. and Bishop RIchard Sampson include:

Offense/Statute: 76-5-404.1 – Sexual Abuse Of A Child-attempted/3rd Degree (attempted) Date Convicted: 16 May 2014
Offense/Statute:76-5-404.1 – Sexual Abuse Of A Child/2nd Degree FelonyDate Convicted: 16 May 2014
Offense/Statute:76-9-702.5 – Lewdness Involving A Child/class A MisdemeanorDate Convicted: 16 May 2014

We are not sure at this point how many years Richard Sampson served as a doctor in the MTC, but a photo of him serving as MTC doctor can be found below.

We are also not sure if Dr. Sampson received any church discipline for his abuses. If anyone has any information in this regard, please email us at: mormonstories@gmail.com.

We have been told that this story was intentionally kept out of the local news media, and that attempts to bring attention to this story have been silenced.

Can someone please check LDS Tools to see if he remains a member?

Additional tips (will update as new tips are received):

3/26/18 – 7:22am: Was just contacted by an individual who claims that Bishop/Dr. Sampson took his temple recommend away for masturbation.

Please email any information you have on Dr. and Bishop Richard Sampson to mormonstories@gmail.com.

In addition, please send us any other unrelated stories you have regarding the cover-up of sexual abuse within the Mormon church.

We appreciate your support on this important effort to hold the LDS church accountable for the protection and cover-up of sexual abusers, at the expense of victims.

Dr. John Dehlin
Mormon Stories Podcast
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Craig Paxton wrote:I'm of the view that John Dehlin is jumping the shark on this by framing this as another institutional sex scandal cover up. I just don't see this in the data points. Yes this man is a convicted child molester, yes he was the MTC doctor, yes he was a former bishop. But each of these facts combined do not make for any cover up.

While I would love to beat up the church for this and other scandals just as much as the next critic, we need to also accept that the church is not all powerful nor all knowing. People, including Mormon's, often do despicable, disgusting things while projecting an outside persona of being something else. People are duplicitous and are often live dual secret lives, unknown even to their own spouses and families. This MTC doctor obviously was one of these individuals. He seems to have had a secret, hidden flaw which he itched by molesting children. But once the church became aware of it they excommunicated him and he now sits in a prison cell.

Again I would love to jump on the burn it down band wagon, but I also do not believe that we can pin every single so called sin perpetrated by believers back on the church. What we can do however is hold the church responsible for what they are culpable in...creating a culture where human perfection is the expectation, human flaws are to be swept under the carpet and kept from public view, where this unrealistic church image is promoted so that those who are part of the church feel a need to meet the cultural expectations of perfection despite knowing that they will never meet it. Publically they project perfection while keeping their true imperfect selves lives hidden from everyone but themselves.

If it turns out this is local common knowledge, then I agree. But if Dehlin is right and this has been kept out of the local papers (I don't care by whom) and if those people who were members of his ward or were treated by him in the MTC are still unaware of this, then Huston, we have a problem.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

Craig Paxton wrote:
kairos wrote:http://www.mormonstories.org/a-second-mtc-abuser-bishop-and-dr-richard-sampson/

FYi

k

I'm of the view that John Dehlin is jumping the shark on this by framing this as another institutional sex scandal cover up. I just don't see this in the data points. Yes this man is a convicted child molester, yes he was the MTC doctor, yes he was a former bishop. But each of these facts combined do not make for any cover up.

Again I would love to jump on the burn it down band wagon, but I also do not believe that we can pin every single so called sin perpetrated by believers back on the church. The church is a collective of individual believers. What we can do however is hold the church responsible for what they are culpable in...creating a culture where human perfection is the expectation, human flaws are to be swept under the carpet and kept from public view, where this unrealistic church image is promoted so that those who are part of the church feel a need to meet the cultural expectations of perfection despite knowing that they will never meet it. Publically they project perfection while keeping their true imperfect selves lives hidden from everyone but themselves.

I'm tending to agree with this, my good man. Well said.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Craig Paxton wrote:I'm of the view that John Dehlin is jumping the shark on this by framing this as another institutional sex scandal cover up. I just don't see this in the data points. Yes this man is a convicted child molester, yes he was the MTC doctor, yes he was a former bishop. But each of these facts combined do not make for any cover up.

Do you mean "jumping the gun"? Because Dehlin jumped the shark years ago.
_consiglieri
_Emeritus

Post by _consiglieri »

You prove yourself of the devil and anti-mormon every word you utter, because only the devil perverts facts to make their case.--ldsfaqs (6-24-13)
_Craig Paxton
_Emeritus

Post by _Craig Paxton »

cinepro wrote:

Do you mean "jumping the gun"? Because Dehlin jumped the shark years ago.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Made me chuckle out loud...but I am still a John Dehlin Fan
"...The official doctrine of the LDS Church is a Global Flood" - BCSpace

"...What many people call sin is not sin." - Joseph Smith

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Phillip K. Dick

“The meaning of life is that it ends" - Franz Kafka
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Fence Sitter wrote:... then Huston, we have a problem.

I imagine many young men in the 1950's were miffed at John Huston when they found out his movie Moby Dick was about a whale. It's like they wanted to see Moby jumping the shark.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Craig Paxton wrote:...we need to also accept that the church is not all powerful nor all knowing.

And that’s the problem. Members don’t accept that.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')