More Evidence that Terryl Givens is in Apostasy

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: More Evidence that Terryl Givens is in Apostasy

Post by _Philo Sofee »

moksha wrote:That is perhaps one of Dr. Peterson's best blog posts. It is also something to praise the Givens over, rather than being concerned that they might be out of step with Sharia-Mormonism's harsh gospel.

Inspiration in the absence of the same is not apostasy.

I actually agree with you here. What I find is that the more I read Givens, the more willing I am to investigate Buddhism, oddly enough! Zen is fascinating to me, as is the Tibetan stuff. We have some Tibetan Buddhists in our neighborhood and it is a blast getting to know them and learn from them. We met them at the Universalist Unitarian Church in a book discussion session a few weeks back. Mormons could learn a thing or two from how Unitarians socialize and have get togethers - food - friends - discussions - fun! Their library is mouth watering too! Oh - just - my!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Givens has never hear of Occam razor
Theory don't you know- several of his children
Are out of the church I am told- they don't
Believe his scenarios.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

If we were to address the apostasy of appologists as a cadre... Well they are all off the reservation. Find me one that teaches a global flood, which is undeniably the position of the church.

The Book of Mormon the apologists defend is not the Book of Mormon Joseph Smith revealed, nor the one the church teaches.

They are useful for plausible deniability. Hence the church keeps them around, with their semi official philosophies of men mingled with scripture.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Simon Southerton
_Emeritus

Post by _Simon Southerton »

kairos wrote:Givens has never hear of Occam razor
Believe his scenarios.

A couple of Michael (Church PR head for yonks) Otterson's children have left the church too. Evidently his spin couldn't fool his closest kin.
LDS apologetics --> "It's not the crime, it's the cover-up, which creates the scandal."
"Bigfoot is a crucial part of the ecosystem, if he exists. So let's all help keep Bigfoot possibly alive for future generations to enjoy, unless he doesn't exist." - Futurama
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I guess Mormon social pressure can't beat logic with some people.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Philo Sofee wrote:If this is not Universalism, I don't know what is. Mormonism certainly never taught this to me when I was growing up... There has never yet been a prophet who has taught this, yet if it was an early Christian belief and teaching, why wasn't it restored in Mormonism? Mormonism still does not teach this to this day. McConkie just has to be rolling in his grave. Thank goodness he is a dead prophet now eh? Now if only today's church leaders would teach this truth eh? You have never heard this in General Conference have you? I sure haven't.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterso ... souls.html

With enough time you can do some good mental gymnatics to reconcile Universalism with Mormonism. What Terryl Givens and many other Mormon "intellectuals" don't realize is that it is extremely easy to come up with some beautiful theology. It is not hard to think. The only hard part is to demonstrate that your theology is useful for humanity.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

SteelHead wrote:The Book of Mormon the apologists defend is not the Book of Mormon Joseph Smith revealed, nor the one the church teaches.

It's like they are trying to steady the Ark rather than letting it tip over and spill the tablets given to Moses on the sidewalk.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_mcjathan
_Emeritus

Post by _mcjathan »

Simon Southerton wrote:
kairos wrote:Givens has never hear of Occam razor
Believe his scenarios.

A couple of Michael (Church PR head for yonks) Otterson's children have left the church too. Evidently his spin couldn't fool his closest kin.

Ditto for more than one of Richard Turley's children. Richard is the former assistant Church historian and recorder, and Otterson's successor as managing director of the Public Affairs Department in April 2016.

I also know that more than one of Richard Edgely's children are also out. Richard was a councilor in the Presiding Bishopric.