Misunderstood Mormon misunderstands Mormonism...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Misunderstood Mormon misunderstands Mormonism...

Post by _I have a question »

Erika Cook said she is used to being a target for Mormon questions and jokes growing up as the only member of the LDS Church at her school.

Cook, a junior at Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School in Orange, Texas, recently wrote an article for her school newspaper titled “A Misunderstood Mormon” to help her peers better understand her beliefs.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... paper.html

In my life, I have grown up being the only Mormon at my school (excluding my siblings). It was something I was known for, so I was basically a target for all of the Mormon jokes and questions. The first joke had to do with the practice of polygamy. Although this act was once accepted in the church, the practice was removed in 1890 and has been against the church’s beliefs since. We are referenced toward the television show “The Sister Wives,” but these people are actually not a part of the Mormon church. Just as any religion has its extremists, we have groups who are considered “fundamentalists” who have no affiliation with the church, which include this television show. If practicing polygamy, church members are excommunicated.

https://lcmbearfacts.com/12034/opinions ... od-mormon/
- The practice wasn’t removed in 1890, it just went undercover and continued for another 24 years.
- The FLDS are Mormons, but they aren’t part of the LDS Church.
- The LDS Church has extremists and fundamentalists in its ranks.
- Polygamy is not against Church beliefs (see below), not being allowed to have multiple living spouses is only a temporary embargo.
- Nelson and Oaks are polygamists, they are sealed to and expect to spend eternity with more than one spouse.

Another misconception has to do with the belief that we are not Christians. However, we are a type of Christianity as we read the Bible and believe in Jesus Christ. His name is said in the full name of the church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The main difference between Mormonism and other common religions is that Mormons do not believe in the Trinity. We believe that God, Jesus Christ, and The Holy Ghost are all separate beings. We are said to not believe in Christ as we don’t associate with the cross, but this reasoning has to do with the fact that we do not want to celebrate his death by wearing or having crosses in our houses. Instead, we celebrate Christ’s resurrection; an event that isn’t represented with a worldly figure.

- Christianity believes everyone is saved by Christ and returns to live with God.
- LDS Mormonism believes only temple married Mormons return to live with God.

Probably one of most misunderstood beliefs towards Mormons is the restrictions against certain substances, but it is not due to the caffeine in these drinks. LDS members are encouraged to not partake of coffee, tea, tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or harmful things to our body, and to eat fruits, vegetables, and exercise regularly.

- Nobody knows what the word of wisdom means anymore, not even Church leaders.
- The guidance on meat consumption is completely ignored by everyone.
- If the restriction isn’t because of the caffeine, then what is the health rationale for abstaining from drinking tea or coffee? You don’t know why. Nobody knows why. Church leaders cannot tell you why.
- How do Morbidly obese members pass the word of wisdom entrance test to be allowed in the temple?

I always wondered why this church was so disliked, when every single person I have met is constantly happy and loving.

- It’s not the members who are disliked.
- Maybe leave your victim complex to one side and find out why the Church is so disliked.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: Misunderstood Mormon misunderstands Mormonism...

Post by _grindael »

Every single person is CONSTANTLY happy and loving? Really? Smells like teen spirit.
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Misunderstood Mormon misunderstands Mormonism...

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The church would be liked or ignored if it stopped with the missionary work. People don't want to be bothered with the nonsense. Oh, and stop pretending the church leaders speak to god, whatever god is, and stop pretending Mormonism is better than everything else. Then people might not make fun any more.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen