"Church Finances Are Used to Invite All to Come Unto Christ"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... ing-bishop

The Holy Ghost isn't converting people, so the church needs a lot of money to replace it. It is obvious big money is more effective than the Holy Ghost. The church needs money for nice pamphlets, movies, and commercials. How pathetic!
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: "Church Finances Are Used to Invite All to Come Unto Chr

Post by _Dr Exiled »

The false question in the article of how the church does everything it does and stays solvent is incredibly misleading. The billions it takes in every year by duping its members makes the solvency question a silly proposition. It's like proposing to have a symposium about the possibility of berkshire hathaway declaring bankruptcy. Please Causse, please!
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

The inscription on the new Give Us Your Tithes monument:

“Give us your tens, your twenties,
Your hundred dollar bills yearning to be holy,
All your gross, we always want more.
Send these, thy riches, hard-earned to we,
We stuff the loot underneath the Zion's Bank floor!”

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé says the true strength of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not in its financial reserves, but in the faith of its people.

“We are not a financial institution or a commercial corporation,” Bishop Caussé said Friday at a Church history symposium on Temple Square that focused on Mormon economic history. “We are The Church of Jesus Christ, and this Church has no other objective than that which the Lord Himself assigned to it; namely, to invite all to ‘come unto Christ, and be perfected in him.’”

“Without tithing, the Church would be incapable of accomplishing its divine mission,” Bishop Caussé said. “We continually feel our great responsibility to use the sacred tithes and offerings in a manner that is appropriate and pleasing to the Lord.”

Interesting words, but very hard to reconcile them with, say, the $1.5-2 billion expenditure of liquid funds on an upmarket shopping mall in downtown Salt Lake City that was not anticipated would return a profit.

Is $2 billion on an upmarket shopping mall appropriate and pleasing to the Lord?

In what way does a $2 billion upmarket shopping mall deliver the sole objective of bringing people to Christ? Is Christ running one of the deli counters? Is He serving behind the counter at Tiffneys? Is He one of the coffee Baristas? Maybe he’s one of the Mall guards shooing away the gays and the tramps? Does he feed the genetically perfected fish in the man-made decorative lake?

I’d like Causse to respond to those questions, but he won’t, because its all about shallow, misleading, self-promoting PR sound bites these days.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Tator
_Emeritus

Post by _Tator »

I think that if Christ was to return he would treat the Church like the money changers that they are.
a.k.a. Pokatator joined Oct 26, 2006 and permanently banned from MAD Nov 6, 2006
"Stop being such a damned coward and use your real name to own your position."
"That's what he gets for posting in his own name."
2 different threads same day 2 hours apart Yohoo Bat 12/1/2015
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

I have a question wrote:
Presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé says the true strength of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not in its financial reserves, but in the faith of its people.

“We are not a financial institution or a commercial corporation,” Bishop Caussé said Friday at a Church history symposium on Temple Square that focused on Mormon economic history. “We are The Church of Jesus Christ, and this Church has no other objective than that which the Lord Himself assigned to it; namely, to invite all to ‘come unto Christ, and be perfected in him.’”

“Without tithing, the Church would be incapable of accomplishing its divine mission,” Bishop Caussé said. “We continually feel our great responsibility to use the sacred tithes and offerings in a manner that is appropriate and pleasing to the Lord.”

Interesting words, but very hard to reconcile them with, say, the $1.5-2 billion expenditure of liquid funds on an upmarket shopping mall in downtown Salt Lake City that was not anticipated would return a profit.

Is $2 billion on an upmarket shopping mall appropriate and pleasing to the Lord?

In what way does a $2 billion upmarket shopping mall deliver the sole objective of bringing people to Christ? Is Christ running one of the deli counters? Is He serving behind the counter at Tiffneys? Is He one of the coffee Baristas? Maybe he’s one of the Mall guards shooing away the gays and the tramps? Does he feed the genetically perfected fish in the man-made decorative lake?

I’d like Causse to respond to those questions, but he won’t, because its all about shallow, misleading, self-promoting PR sound bites these days.

Not to mention the 535 Million dollar land deal in Florida or the point of the mountain subdivision project, or the upscale condo/business complexes in PA and Texas. This article is full of hypocrisy. These guys are no better than the Signtologist. The sad thing is that most TBMs will swallow this line of bull completely.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

I have a question wrote:

Not to mention the 535 Million dollar land deal in Florida or the point of the mountain subdivision project, or the upscale condo/business complexes in PA and Texas. This article is full of hypocrisy. These guys are no better than the Signtologist. The sad thing is that most TBMs will swallow this line of bull completely.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

For a cool billion I would personally coach the LDS leadership about what Jesus actually means and wants and has commanded about 'coming unto him' and taking his name upon us. Jesus personally coached the Jews for forty days commanding them to strive and continue with one accord to seek the Promise of the Father which is the EVENT of the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost.......oh crap, I gave it away for free. DANG!

I suppose, if they mandated this commandment, they would still need some help clearing away the clutter of so many years of cultured hypocrisy. I would need them to pay me for preaching. A commensurate stipend equal to an apostle. Like I have already mentioned if they want me to take my rightful place I would require back pay to 1979. :cool: :cool: :cool:
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE