Teaching Adolescents: from Twelve to Eighteen Years

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Re: Teaching Adolescents: from Twelve to Eighteen Years

Post by _Meadowchik »

Back when I was a believing Mormon, I was concerned about my teen son developing an unhealthy guilt complex over masturbation. So, I thought I would talk to him about it. I told him it wasn't a big deal, to not worry too much, that if it happened, to just move on.

This was definitely not the right approach for my kid who is obedient to a fault and obsessive-compulsive about many things. It's been almost 4 years, and he has not taken the Sacrament since. He hasn't been ordained a teacher or a priest, yet he still attends church as the only believing member of the family. Every Sunday is like clockwork: we arrive at the chapel, find our seats, and he sets down his stuff and "goes to the bathroom" for 25 minutes until Sacrament is sure to be over.

I blame myself, but also the church for demonizing a normal, not-necessarily-unhealthy sexual practice. I don't know how my son can have a healthy relationship with the church because of this. I worry about his future because of this limbo he is experiencing as a scrupulous mindful person in an over-controlling religion.