How revered is the Prophet? any TBMs?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

How revered is the Prophet? any TBMs?

Post by _Gadianton »

When I was a kid, I remember thanking God for President Kimball in my prayers and F&T. I remember hearing "President Kimball said" many times. I also heard "David O. McKay" praised, even though he was before my time.

I've noted elsewhere that other than a few brief mentions of Benson, I've just never heard much praise or deference to Hinckley or Monson. But then, I'm for the most part out of the loop.

For those who attend church, how often are folks referencing Hinckley, Monson, or Nelson, in F&T -- thanking for their guidance etc., or deferring to their authority on something they said, or feigned sorrow for the world who doesn't have the guidance of specifically, not just a prophet, but one of these three.

If you lived through previous prophets, would you say the level of revering is the same for these three than for previous?
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Re: How revered is the Prophet? any TBMs?

Post by _sunstoned »

I have been out ten plus years. But I do remember they have the primary children chanting "follow the prophet". That song wasn't around when I was a kid. Before I left, I do remember hearing the F&T homages being paid to the prophet, but not much in EQ or SS beyond what was in the manual.

JFS and BRM were really the last of the scriptorians. People use to quote and reference them. These guys were often screwed up, but at least they had the stones to put their opinion out there and make a stand. Since then, the only thing coming from the Q15 is shallow platitudes, and fake heart sell stories. I get the impression from the current Q15 that there is very little doctrinal knowledge beyond the level of your average member. Everytime Jeffry Holland opens his mouth he comes across as a lunatic. The top 15 couldn't even put together a reasonable response for the so called Swedish rescue.
_Stem
_Emeritus

Post by _Stem »

I wasn't around for the ones you were familiar with...I grew up in the 80s early 90s. I don't think I knew one thing, or even thought of, any prophet before Hinckley. If anyone said anything about Hunter and Benson I never really understood what they were saying, I guess. With that said, Hinckley (I believe I was one of the first missionaries called under his reign) was, it seemed to me, highly quoted and referenced. Sure people prayed for him and thanked God for a Prophet, even Gorden Bit Hinckley in their prayers, but that never really resonated with me so I didn't give it much notice.

Great deference seemed to be given Hinckley by the members, which for me was always taken a bit too far if not plainly too far. I didn't have the same feel of deference from members when Monson was called, although, I can't say he wasn't referenced nor adored. That perception also might be more due to me, as I was somewhat already disillusioned when Monson was called. Also, due to Monson's health he didn't seem as prominent a voice. While he was prophet it seemed to me many apostles outshined him, from Packer to Uchtdorf.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Gadianton wrote:When I was a kid, I remember thanking God for President Kimball in my prayers and F&T. I remember hearing "President Kimball said" many times. I also heard "David O. McKay" praised, even though he was before my time.

I've noted elsewhere that other than a few brief mentions of Benson, I've just never heard much praise or deference to Hinckley or Monson. But then, I'm for the most part out of the loop.

For those who attend church, how often are folks referencing Hinckley, Monson, or Nelson, in F&T -- thanking for their guidance etc., or deferring to their authority on something they said, or feigned sorrow for the world who doesn't have the guidance of specifically, not just a prophet, but one of these three.

If you lived through previous prophets, would you say the level of revering is the same for these three than for previous?

In my days as a small child...I remember and loved and even felt safe in the picture/stories of my prophet David O' Mckay..I sense a difference nowadays..can't pin point it because that would not be fair as I have not participated for 10 years..but it seems the very reverence has changed.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

There was such reverence for David O. McKay, that Utah KFCs got a sales boost every time a picture of Colonel Sanders was posted in its advertising.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Stem wrote:I wasn't around for the ones you were familiar with...I grew up in the 80s early 90s. I don't think I knew one thing, or even thought of, any prophet before Hinckley. If anyone said anything about Hunter and Benson I never really understood what they were saying, I guess. With that said, Hinckley (I believe I was one of the first missionaries called under his reign) was, it seemed to me, highly quoted and referenced. Sure people prayed for him and thanked God for a Prophet, even Gorden Bit Hinckley in their prayers, but that never really resonated with me so I didn't give it much notice.

Great deference seemed to be given Hinckley by the members, which for me was always taken a bit too far if not plainly too far. I didn't have the same feel of deference from members when Monson was called, although, I can't say he wasn't referenced nor adored. That perception also might be more due to me, as I was somewhat already disillusioned when Monson was called. Also, due to Monson's health he didn't seem as prominent a voice. While he was prophet it seemed to me many apostles outshined him, from Packer to Uchtdorf.

:razz: What a young pup...you are young enough to be my son...which I prefer than I am old enough to be your mother!
_Paracelsus
_Emeritus

Post by _Paracelsus »

moksha wrote:There was such reverence for David O. McKay, that Utah KFCs got a sales boost every time a picture of Colonel Sanders was posted in its advertising.

At first reading, I have thought to Sanders of the River, pet books of my youth, by Edgar Wallace.
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9txEQYEj88o)
I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Should I honour you? Why?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : Prometheus
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Post by _mocnarf »

You must remember the Church is a Corporation. Corporations have "presidents". I can not remember hearing the church presiding leadership ever being introduced at a meeting as "Prophet Monson, or Prophet McKay" it is always President Monson, President McKay. Anyone can be a prophet, but there is only one "President of the Church". And the President's of the Church concern themselves with only one profit. (pun intended)
Aim at at nothing and you're sure to hit it.