Just Curious

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Just Curious

Post by _candygal »

honorentheos wrote:Oh, just remembered something else similar. My dad played church basketball as an elder, and we'd go to the games but were too young to pay attention. So all of my friends whose dads were playing and our siblings would sneak off using the stage to go explore the church. The church house we attended was set up so that the two wards who shared it each had a "wing" or side of the building with the chapel and cultural hall in the center accessible from either side. When we went exploring, it was always to the other ward's side of the building. Our side of the building had the library, the baptismal font, and always seems more roomy and light. Their side of the building seemed to be essentially a narrow hallway that started with the bishop's office, a clerk's office, and then classrooms that formed a short "L" shape with a door leading outside at the end of the short leg of the "L".

The result of this was it was almost pitch black during the basketball games. And we were terrified of walking down to the end of the hall. The game we played involved swallowing one's fear and walking all the way down the hall, around the corner, and turning on the hall lights. As a big brother, I'd sometimes act like I wasn't scared to walk down and around the corner but in reality it felt like something evil was down that hall. Anyway, one of the siblings of a friend took the challenge to make the walk by themselves and, just as they turned the corner they screamed and came running back yelling that they had seen "red eyes" like in the Amityville Horror outside the door. That was all it took to convince us the devil was really trying to get us at the end of the hall and we all went into the chapel because one of us claimed it was dedicated so the devil couldn't go in there.

Of course our parents ended up amused by our claims and that we were scared of rear car lights which they saw as the obvious source of the red eyes. And we lost our free range privileges, too. Guess the leadership didn't like kids running around the church house claiming the devil was chasing them.
Love this...in my tiny town...the ward kids always went to the cemetary to see the shining headstone...no kidding!! What we didn't know was that everytime a car went over the railroad tracks...it shined there...but..OMG...it was someone who was dug up later and moved..Boo!
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

candygal wrote:I posted this question to MD@D also...a lot of talk about the devil ..was wondering if any of you had experiences with the Ouija Board in you younger years. Please be honest..alot of you were active and had said priesthood at the time..does any one have anything to share? I did have an experience...a chill..passed around a coat of a young friend/cousin...who died at age 14...we wanted to talk to her...asked questions..it was and eerie feeling yet looking back I feel like some sort of idiot.but I never forgot.

Okay, since you asked us to be honest...yes, my people and I used a Ouija Board back in the day. Drinking game. I'm not joking.

:lol:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_candygal
_Emeritus

Post by _candygal »

Jersey Girl wrote:
candygal wrote:I posted this question to MD@D also...a lot of talk about the devil ..was wondering if any of you had experiences with the Ouija Board in you younger years. Please be honest..a lot of you were active and had said priesthood at the time..does any one have anything to share? I did have an experience...a chill..passed around a coat of a young friend/cousin...who died at age 14...we wanted to talk to her...asked questions..it was and eerie feeling yet looking back I feel like some sort of idiot.but I never forgot.

Okay, since you asked us to be honest...yes, my people and I used a Ouija Board back in the day. Drinking game. I'm not joking.

:lol:
Well...you are just like the rest of us...and some people on MD@D are not admitting that...for heavens sakes..for a while it was a fad..like hula hoop... :lol: Remember that big black ball you asked questions to?? (Can't remember what we called it)...same difference...and had a drink or two myself.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Magic 8 ball.

:wink:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb