Russell Nelson talks guns...

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: Russell Nelson talks guns...

Post by _candygal »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Water Dog wrote:Agreed. He has to respond, because this kind of thing isn't supposed to happen to Mormons. She should have gotten sick that day, or a flat tire, some "miracle" should have happened to prevent her from getting hurt.

Oh my god. You're right. The Holy Ghost should've misplaced their keys or drained their car battery forcing her to miss school that day.

Voof.

I'd hate to have to go through the mental gymnastics on that one, if I were her family, next to a Mormon said something about the Spirit prompting them to look under a sofa cushion to find a lost wallet.

- Doc

I agree...this is something I never really thought about...but I haven't been in a Mormon world view forever...no matter... the comment lacked tact and any empathy for others.
_krose
_Emeritus

Post by _krose »

Rusty wrote:God allows us to have our agency, and men have passed laws that allow guns to go to people who shouldn’t have them.

Strange how rapists, murderers, terrorists, kidnappers and enslavers have their agency to do what they want to their victims, who completely lose their own agency in the process.

As an explanation for the ever-present Problem of Evil, this seems less than satisfactory.
"The DNA of fictional populations appears to be the most susceptible to extinction." - Simon Southerton
_Gadianton
_Emeritus

Post by _Gadianton »

Nelson wrote:Well, God allows us to have our agency, and men have passed laws that allow guns to go to people who shouldn’t have them.

Huh. Perhaps "men" were just allowing people to have their free agency, just like God does?

It's unthinkable that the "prophet" would implicitly back the NRA on this. You have to wonder if the brethren ever, just for a moment, worry over what the right thing to do is about anything. 15 x 0 = 0.
Lou Midgley 08/20/2020: "...meat wad," and "cockroach" are pithy descriptions of human beings used by gemli? They were not fashioned by Professor Peterson.

LM 11/23/2018: one can explain away the soul of human beings...as...a Meat Unit, to use Professor Peterson's clever derogatory description of gemli's ideology.
_sunstoned
_Emeritus

Post by _sunstoned »

This comment of Russell has sparked some discussion over at the other board. Scott Loyd and other hard core TBM types seem to uncomfortable that their prophet is not toeing the Republican line. Loyd, who is always in lock step with anything coming from the COB is now trying to walk back Nelson's comments. In a way, its kind of pathetic.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

sunstoned wrote:This comment of Russell has sparked some discussion over at the other board. Scott Loyd and other hard core TBM types seem to uncomfortable that their prophet is not toeing the Republican line. Loyd, who is always in lock step with anything coming from the COB is now trying to walk back Nelson's comments. In a way, its kind of pathetic.

It's interesting to see people like Scott elevate themselves to the position of being the Prophets translator - "What the Prophet was actually saying was..." "What he actually meant was..." etc. Instead of being honest and saying "I disagree with what the Prophet said...". I genuinely think Scott believes he will suffer hell fire and damnation for eternity if he comes out and disagrees with anything an Apostle says. Is there any evidence of him just disagreeing with an Apostles word? The man has no self-identity. He can agree with two Apostles contradictory positions simultaneously. Because God wants Yes Men, apparently.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')