New to the Forum

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Re: New to the Forum

Post by _Always Changing »

Cher is uniquely mixed. But any Native ancestry is only a small bit, if there is any. She is more Armenian than anything else, which makes her look like a Cherokee woman. But we have been through these issues before.
Cher was born Cherilyn Sarkisian. Cher’s father, John Paul Sarkisian, was born in California, to Armenian parents; he worked as a truck driver. Cher’s mother, Georgia Holt (born Jackie Jean Crouch), a singer, songwriter, actress, and model, is of English and German, with more distant Irish, Dutch, and French, descent. Cher is also stated to have Cherokee Native American ancestry on her mother’s side. However, no Cherokee Native American ancestors are documented on any publicly available genealogies of Cher.
http://ethnicelebs.com/cher

I think the OP's story line is just as hokey.

But thank you for pointing out the analogy with Dan Brown's books. Interesting fiction-- just pure fiction-- and the inaccuracies do illustrate that.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

I'm not offended by the "half-breed" comment, and I am married to one. I have a bunch of quarter-breed children as well.

I'm not sure the general public would be okay with it though.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Paracelsus
_Emeritus

Post by _Paracelsus »

consiglieri wrote:image of Cher

Surely I'm not the only one who immediately thought of this . . .

My two links magically disappeared from the last pos of the first page (and from data base as well):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0itzW8Siqg (2:50)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThToz3UmIL4 (2:38)
I know of nothing poorer
Under the sun, than you, you Gods!
Should I honour you? Why?

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe : Prometheus
_Tuna_Surprise
_Emeritus

Post by _Tuna_Surprise »

To OP - There seems like there is a lot going on in your book. Is there a reason that so many minority cultures need to be crammed in here? Is the focus on a plucky young woman's fight against the evil henchmen of Brigham Young or is there value in the fact that she's somehow connected to various American Indian and African cultures?
Last edited by Guest on Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
_Tuna_Surprise
_Emeritus

Post by _Tuna_Surprise »

cwald wrote:I'm not offended by the "half-breed" comment, and I am married to one. I have a bunch of quarter-breed children as well.

I'm not sure the general public would be okay with it though.

I'm your local, uppity SJW and I'm not "offended" by half-breed, but I don't think there is anything wrong with removing it from our vocabularies and educating people about it. The word was designed to be hateful...referring to people in the same way as livestock is dehumanizing.

by the way, I think technically your children are "quadroons" :wink:
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Always Changing wrote:I think the opening post's story line is just as hokey.

No argument there, and Darth has really put a fine point to that but if Blane Yorgason's books are any indication, there is a big market for "hokey" out there. For all we know the book could be intended for a younger audience. ( or maybe unintended--- :lol: )
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_karl61
_Emeritus

Post by _karl61 »

I hope you do well with your book. I was reading a biography on Lincoln and was very surprised to learn that he was trying to court the Danite vote. I'm pretty sure it was for the presidential election. I didn't think there were any Danites left in Illinois in the late 1850's.
I want to fly!
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

karl61 wrote:I hope you do well with your book. I was reading a biography on Lincoln and was very surprised to learn that he was trying to court the Danite vote. I'm pretty sure it was for the presidential election. I didn't think there were any Danites left in Illinois in the late 1850's.

Interesting... Lincoln was surely our greatest President but did some questionable things like appointing Stephen Johnson Field as a Supreme Court Judge, who the Mormons bribed with offers of money in cases where he/they ruled in their favor concerning polygamy.

Dec. 17, 1892: At my Quorum meeting on Thursday the brethren were told that our success in the Church suits was in a great measure due to the fact that we have a partner of Justice [Stephen J.] Field of the Supreme Court of the United States IN OUR EMPLOY who is to receive a percentage of the money if the suits go in our favor, and the property is returned to us. It was decided at this meeting that we would dispense with the services of the Church attorneys at the end of the year. Those now employed are F[ranklin] S. Richards and Le Grand Young. The former receives $5,000 per year, and the latter $3,000. The latter has felt some reluctance at accepting his pay for the work now being done, but the former has felt it was his due. (Abraham H. Cannon)

This guy just wouldn't retire so they tried to force him out, even after he complained about another judge that did the same thing. (He was intermittently senile). He didn't leave and was the longest serving Supreme Court Judge. He finally retired in 1897 and died two years later. (Age 83)
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.