What are church property firearm carry rules?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

What are church property firearm carry rules?

Post by _Maksutov »

Are you allowed to carry weapons into church, stake house, conference building, COB, Temple Square?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: What are church property firearm carry rules?

Post by _candygal »

Good question..and I have never even thought about it before. I lived in a small farming community where hunting everything was the norm. Real c'boys and seriously...would never have thought to think a thing should one come in with a holster. I hope someone knows here
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Here is an article that outlines what the concealed carry laws are with respect to churches: https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/concealed-carry-in-churches/

As for Mormon churches: https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies/21.2?lang=eng&_r=1#212

Looks like the Q15 frowns on packing in church unless one is law enforcement.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Fascinating. Thanks for the references.

So who comes first, folks? God or Second Amendment?
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

In most states you can carry a gun in a church with a CWP as long as there are no signs posted specifically restricting CW on the premises. This is the case in Oregon, Neveda, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Utah. Not sure about other states.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

When I was growing up, we had a retired FBI agent who concealed carried at church (Washington). Ironically, his name was Brother Gunn.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

cwald wrote:In most states you can carry a gun in a church with a CWP as long as there are no signs posted specifically restricting CW on the premises. This is the case in Oregon, Neveda, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Utah. Not sure about other states.

How would they know if someone was bringing a gun in? I'm betting parts of corporate property have metal detectors but not the places of worship. And what about temples?

All it would take would be one horror in Mormonland to cause many to question. I think.
_cwald
_Emeritus

Post by _cwald »

Maksutov wrote:How would they know if someone was bringing a gun in? I'm betting parts of corporate property have metal detectors but not the places of worship. And what about temples?

All it would take would be one horror in Mormonland to cause many to question. I think.

I don't think we will solve any problems with gun violence by restricting concealed carry holders from packing in churches? You are correct, if someone wants to bring a gun into a church, they will. It doesn't matter if it has signs outside saying that guns are not allowed.
"Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn’t participate enthusiastically." - Robert Kirby

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »

I carried at church. In my experience, whatever rules the church has in these regards, are ignored. As are the state laws. In many states churches are a safe zone by law. Carriers will often ignore safe zone restrictions when they apply to private buildings. I obey when it applies to things like govt buildings and schools, places where people will get upset, but often ignore the law in other places like churches or hospitals. In Texas, for example, where hospitals and churches are safe zones, there has not been a single charge brought against someone licensed for carrying there.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Water Dog wrote:I carried at church. In my experience, whatever rules the church has in these regards, are ignored. As are the state laws. In many states churches are a safe zone by law. Carriers will often ignore safe zone restrictions when they apply to private buildings. I obey when it applies to things like govt buildings and schools, places where people will get upset, but often ignore the law in other places like churches or hospitals. In Texas, for example, where hospitals and churches are safe zones, there has not been a single charge brought against someone licensed for carrying there.

Very interesting. Thanks for the comments, Dog.