"My Family does not want your hopes and prayers"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

"My Family does not want your hopes and prayers"

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

In an open letter addressed "Dear America," the aunt of a 14-year-old killed in a Florida school said, "My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action."

What a hero. The story needs to go viral!

LDS Church Statement on Florida School Shooting
To all of the victims and their loved ones, we extend our love. These are hours filled with grief, emptiness and a terrible sense of loss. We unite our prayers with millions of others who are mourning and praying for them."
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: "My Family does not want your hopes and prayers"

Post by _DrW »

This could well be the aunt of the 14 year old LDS girl who was killed. I have not seen public responses from the LDS Church to other mass shootings and there has been one approximately every 60 hours on average so far in 2018.

The LDS Church has taken a public stand on abortion. Why not take a public stand and state that LDS Church members could address this blight on America by supporting political candidates that favor rational gun laws.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

DoubtingThomas wrote:In an open letter addressed "Dear America," the aunt of a 14-year-old killed in a Florida school said, "My family does not want your hopes and prayers. We want your action."

What a hero. The story needs to go viral!

Umm, . . . link?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Grudunza
_Emeritus

Post by _Grudunza »

DrW wrote:This could well be the aunt of the 14 year old LDS girl who was killed. I have not seen public responses from the LDS Church to other mass shootings and there has been one approximately every 60 hours on average so far in 2018.

Not mass shootings, but incidents with firearms at schools. But regardless, yeah, gee, now the LDS church chimes in, because a victim (or was it two) was Mormon.

Keep paying your tithing and we’ll keep being irrelevant to what’s happening in society. Deal? Deal.
http://www.WeirdAlma.com
Weird Alma - Prophet of the New Disputation
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Image

I absolutely empathize with responsible gun owners and collectors who see the possession of firearms as their Second Amendment right. Therefore should this country wise up and ban assault weapons, I publicly commit to keeping gun owners in my thoughts and prayers as they mourn the loss of their AR's as I do with those who have lost actual human beings in mass shootings.

NOW would be a good time to march on D.C.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Image

I absolutely empathize with responsible gun owners and collectors who see the possession of firearms as their Second Amendment right. Therefore should this country wise up and ban assault weapons, I publicly commit to keeping gun owners in my thoughts and prayers as they mourn the loss of their AR's as I do with those who have lost actual human beings in mass shootings.

"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maksutov wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

There ya go!

And again, NOW would be a great time to take it to the streets in D.C.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb