Cyclone hit Tonga & Samoa - remember, you are the gift!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Cyclone hit Tonga & Samoa - remember, you are the gift!

Post by _I have a question »

So God has done His bit in providing further context for the Head Of LDS Charities recent guidance.
NUKU’ALOFA, Tonga — Mormon missionaries serving in cyclone-battered Tonga and Samoa are accounted for and unharmed.

“All missionaries serving in the Samoa Apia Mission and the Tonga Nuku’alofa Mission are safe as Tropical Cyclone Gita moves through the region,” said Church spokesman Daniel Woodruff. “Missionaries in Tonga are taking refuge in Church buildings away from the coast and have taken necessary preparations to help keep them safe.

“We pray for all those in the South Pacific who are impacted by this powerful storm.”

Over the past few days, Tropical Cyclone Gita has hammered Tonga and neighboring South Pacific islands with what is being called the most powerful storm to hit that region in memory.

A tropical cyclone is the same type of storm as a hurricane.

The eye of Gita passed just south of the low-lying Tongatapu group of islands in southern Tonga on Monday with maximum sustained winds estimated at 145 mph, the Associated Press reported. The nation has declared a state of emergency.

Residents prepared for the tropical cyclone by nailing boards and roofing iron to the homes to try to limit the damage from coconuts, trees and other flying debris.

Gita has strengthened since hitting Samoa and American Samoa last weekend, where it caused damage to buildings, flooding and widespread power outages, according to the AP reports. U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday, Feb. 11, declared an emergency in American Samoa, a U.S. territory.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... Samoa.html

As if she could see into the future like some kind of Prophet, back in January Sharon Eubank explained...
"If we change our perspective so that caring for the poor and the needy is less about giving stuff away and more about filling the hunger for human contact and about hearing meaningful conversations and creating rich, positive relationships, then the Lord can send us some place. Every single person can do this on his or her own. You don’t need a fund, but it’s going to take some commitment."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... dents.html
So, not about giving stuff away, got it.
"You are the gift," she said. "You yourself are the gift. It’s not the clothing, it isn’t hygiene kits or school desks or wells. It’s you. What would it look like if each of us was our own well-stocked humanitarian organization, but instead of giving out tangible goods in foreign locations, we had the richness of dispensing healing and friendship and respect and peaceful dialogue and sincere interest and protective listening of children and birthday remembrances and talking to the stranger? What if that were what your humanitarian organization did?

Well Sharon, if that were what my humanitarian organisation did I’m afraid I’d have to resign.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Cyclone hit Tonga & Samoa - remember, you are the gift!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Hello, it's me, your gift. I know you wanted fresh water, food and shelter, but I thought I would stop by and perform my new pantomime of a person eating food, having shelter, and drinking fresh water .......

"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

“Hi, I’m Sharon from the Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints”
“Oh thank God, my prayers have been answered. I need food, water, clothing, shelter, hygiene kits and...oh wait, you don’t seem to have brought anything...”
“No, I’m not giving stuff away today, I’m bringing you something more important.”
“Erm, I’m not sure I can think of anything more important than food, water, clothing, shelter, hygiene kits and medical supplies right now....what is it you’ve got?”
“Me!”
“What. The. F***?”
“I’m the gift! Come on, give us a hug...”
Last edited by Guest on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

First-world "epiphanies."

(Clean municipal drinking water is awesome.)
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Exiled,
:D

Maybe she’s projecting - she needs someone, and doesn’t really feel the need of clean water, shelter etc.