Old ground but hey I need to know!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Re: Old ground but hey I need to know!

Post by _Dr Exiled »

kairos wrote:You guys are awesome!

i never should have said "demolish" - i really have been bugged by this guy to study isaiah with him- i have no interest in that. in my Bible meditations i let the HS try to give me insight into whatever book i am into. he invited me to lunch and would treat me to a chili dog-yes his offer! to "get to know me better". clearly he wants to push the LDS religion on me by showing how wonderful it is and true. So i thought i could lead him into telling me how isaiah got into the Book of Mormon. no confrontation just give me his thoughts and i could point out some holes, whatever his answer. if he wants to go elsewhere so be it- i can wherever. the guy is nice but hard core super enthusiastic on the surface about mo'ism.

not to the liking of many here but i want to tell him my conversion story,fairly dramatic, but only to describe how i see what being a christian means- simple john 3:16 approach- organized religion please not apply.

further thoughts -thanx!
k

I don't see it going anywhere. He will retreat to his emotional testimony and you will to yours. Sure deutero Isaiah is a problem but so is the lack of evidence for an exodus, adam and eve, etc. I think both suffer from myth problems.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Darth J
_Emeritus

Post by _Darth J »

kairos wrote:he invited me to lunch and would treat me to a chili dog-yes his offer! to "get to know me better". clearly he wants to push the lds religion on me

Yeah, I can totally see how it's worth a chili dog to waste time being sold something you're not interested in by a person you otherwise would never socialize with.

I guess if someone wanted you to spend an afternoon listening to Everybody Loves Raymond trivia, that would be like a bag of M&Ms or something?
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Sup K! :smile:

kairos wrote:further thoughts -thanx!
k

Yeah - Order extra onions on your chili dog and sit really close to him when you discuss the Bible. That should encourage him to focus and pay extra special attention to anything that's coming from your mouth.

Good luck and peace,
Ceeboo
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

You guys are awesome!

i never should have said "demolish" - i really have been bugged by this guy to study isaiah with him- i have no interest in that. in my Bible meditations i let the HS try to give me insight into whatever book i am into. he invited me to lunch and would treat me to a chili dog-yes his offer! to "get to know me better". clearly he wants to push the LDS religion on me by showing how wonderful it is and true. So i thought i could lead him into telling me how isaiah got into the Book of Mormon. no confrontation just give me his thoughts and i could point out some holes, whatever his answer. if he wants to go elsewhere so be it- i can wherever. the guy is nice but hard core super enthusiastic on the surface about mo'ism.

not to the liking of many here but i want to tell him my conversion story,fairly dramatic, but only to describe how i see what being a christian means- simple john 3:16 approach- organized religion please not apply.

further thoughts -thanx!
k

Whether you want to go or just feel obligated, and you know he is going to push his religion, I see nothing wrong with being prepared to stand your ground. Your conversion story sounds interesting, have you related it here?

If he is sincere in his willingness to get to know you, he should be prepared to listen to you at least as much as he is expecting you to listen to him.

Let us know how it goes!
_Symmachus
_Emeritus

Post by _Symmachus »

Here is one that some low-life discovered:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39116&p=912563
"As to any slivers of light or any particles of darkness of the past, we forget about them."

—B. Redd McConkie
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

kairos wrote:Me always a nevermo has been invited to lunch by my bishop son's stake president.

"He just wants to know about me and wants me to come to the dark side" I want to demolish him as to his Book of Mormon testimony.

Since he apparently knows the Bible well as I do, I want to entangle him in the kjv of Bible showing up in the Book of Mormon in spades. I need help on how to present why Isaiah in the Book of Mormon is a sure giveaway for the Book of Mormon being a 19th century product. To have Isaiah show up in the Book of Mormon certain things had to happen, like Lehi had to have an Isaiah scroll, had to engrave it in reformed Egyptian on plates, had to have Joseph Smith read or have revealed KJV Isaiah , errors and all into the BOM-all of the above either being low probability or a sure giveaway Joseph Smith pulled the material from the Bible.

What more is needed to nail that coffin shut and/or how would you go about?

Thanx
k

Interesting that you call him YOUR bishop son's stake president. LOL

Anyways, the Book of Mormon is true because it teaches the gospel of Jesus Christ CORRECTLY and NOBODY knew what CORRECTLY is and still don't, and that includes, ironically, the Mormons. That's how sensational the Book of Mormon is. Even the believers cannot see the forest for the trees. Everything else is superfluous conjecture that cannot mount up to a hill of beans against the MAIN point here that I have pointed out.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

NorthboundZax wrote:If you want to talk Isaiah in that context, use this resource:

https://user.xmission.com/~research/central/isabm1.html

Thanx- I just waded through most of wright's paper- his scholarship is Mind boggling- maybe I should give it to the SP after just having a quiet lunch- "uh here is some night time reading for you on Isaiah in the Book of Mormon"

k
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Symmachus wrote:Here is one that some low-life discovered:

These kinds of posts are some of my absolute favorites on this board. Thanks for that, "evil Hugh Nibley".
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Xenophon wrote:

These kinds of posts are some of my absolute favorites on this board. Thanks for that, "evil Hugh Nibley".

Wow. Thanks for the reminder to read that. Goes on the list of my favorites, too. Thank you, Symmachus.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Where do you come up with this stuff, dude? Like John Travolta taking ball lightning to the face did some sort of cosmological event align and you just went full A Beautiful Mind (minus the schizophrenia) one day?

I am found wanting.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.