The exmo reddit site is really awkward

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Re: The exmo reddit site is really awkward

Post by _Kishkumen »

Res Ipsa wrote:I guess it’s not too surprising that folks immersed in LDS culture retain aspects of that culture after rejecting the religion. I think it’s hard to see the impact of culture on ourselves, and even harder to make the effort to change behaviors that result from immersion in a culture.

Speaking for myself, I am Mormon. I will always be Mormon. I am not ashamed to be Mormon, and I don’t care that anyone else thinks it is/was a cult. I love being Mormon, and I love my involvement in the (ex-)Mormon community.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Meadowchik wrote:There are a thousand different legitimate ways to lose a testimony in the church and they are all on display at exmo reddit.

:lol:

The weird thing is that often someone will express anger over some aspect of the Church or Church History about which they are mistaken. When I see that, I think "Hey, this is great. I can show the person that they might be mistaken, and then they won't feel the anger anymore on that point."

But it never goes like that. Even when faced with the evidence that the thing they're angry about probably isn't true, they usually double-down and defend their anger (and down-vote). It's like they want to feel that anger. It's very odd (and irrational).
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Anger is intoxicating. Ask a Mopologist.

Or me.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Now Steve Benson. I don't know what it was about that dude, whether it was his absolute inability to be disagreed with, passive-aggressive shot taking, or his smarmy story telling, but holy ____ balls he raised my hackles.

From Mormon royalty to exMormon royalty. Good cartoonist, though. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

cinepro wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:There are a thousand different legitimate ways to lose a testimony in the church and they are all on display at exmo reddit.

:lol:

The weird thing is that often someone will express anger over some aspect of the Church or Church History about which they are mistaken. When I see that, I think "Hey, this is great. I can show the person that they might be mistaken, and then they won't feel the anger anymore on that point."

But it never goes like that. Even when faced with the evidence that the thing they're angry about probably isn't true, they usually double-down and defend their anger (and down-vote). It's like they want to feel that anger. It's very odd (and irrational).

That's exactly it, it's irrational. The rider is explaining the elephant :)
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
EAllusion wrote:I don't know him well enough to dislike him. I just know enough to know he fits the description I gave. I remember Gadianton excoriating him years ago, so he might be a better bet if you are looking for a harsher take.

Maybe I didn't follow him closely enough to know whether or not he merited ex-Mormon "anti-prophet" status. I just thought he was a compelling and thoughtful poster who had a somewhat interesting backstory to his apostasy.

Now Steve Benson. I don't know what it was about that dude, whether it was his absolute inability to be disagreed with, passive-aggressive shot taking, or his smarmy story telling, but holy “F” balls he raised my hackles.

Hrm. I don't recall too much from Tal Bachman. I know he posted a while on RFM.

Dehlin, I think, definitely fits your narrative. I don't really get it, though. Mormon Stories is good for the people that need it, but truth be told I never listened to one of them.

Not sure who else would rise to the status you're suggesting, though.

- Doc
I think you might be overreading into my "anti-prophet" line. That's a jokey play on the anti-pope. What I'm referring to is figures that develop a status among ex-Mormons where they are looked up to as a role model and source of wisdom, fiercely defended by the crowd when criticized, and show signs of others having emotional investment in their appearing to have "won" arguments. Sam Harris, but specifically for ex-Mormons is the best analogy I could think of. I only know Benson by negative reputation, but the idea is that the person is strident, philosophically naïve, and attains the above status. Ex-Mormon sites seem to produce figures like this as if it were an assembly line. The only one I knew really well was Bachman, and he definitely was obnoxious. I couldn't say the same of McCue. The unifying trait here isn't an insufferable personality.